Carsten_Schmitz

Oracle's new Java roadmap and CA/Automic (possible PM question)

Discussion created by Carsten_Schmitz on May 2, 2018
Latest reply on May 4, 2018 by ainda02

Hi.

Many Automic products rely on Java. As far as I know, at present time, the highest supported Java version is SE 1.8 (aka Java 8).

Oracle has recently announced that, unlike private users, companies will not be permitted to download Java 1.8 updates in conjunction with non-Oracle software beyond January 2019, at least not without the purchase of an additional company  license. This includes critical and security updates.

Apparently, Oracle has adapted an Ubuntu-style release cycle of one release every six months, and version numbers for Java. Oracle seemingly has decided that companies are to migrate quickly away from 1.8 and towards 1.9 (aka Java 9) or 1.10 (aka Java 10, aka Java 18.3), and then again migrate quickly to Java 11 (aka 18.9), which will be a so called LTS-release with long term support (well, at least longer than six months).

I ask whether Automic is aware of this already, and whether Java 1.9 (or 1.10) will be officially cleared for use by January 2019.

Oracle Java Roadmap

Thanks.

(edit: I'm actually not 100% sure if this concerns just the JDK, or also the JRE ...)

Outcomes