Gen EDGE

• 1.  JAVA in - Z/OS

Posted May 03, 2018 02:44 AM

Any plans of the GEN Roadmap for JAVA in - Z/OS?

My client plan to install WebSphere Application server inside Mainframe

One of the big challenge is 

Host encyclopedia not support Generation Java Code in Z/OS 

But what about if GEN use The UNIX® System Services element of z/OS in that ??

• 2.  Re: JAVA in - Z/OS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 06, 2018 09:45 PM

Hi Tarek,

I note you had a similar thread 2 years ago where John Carter replied as follows:

https://communities.ca.com/message/241887243#comment-241887566 

===

t-kamal Gen only generates Java from the Windows workstation or from the distributed Client / Server Encyclopedias that run on Windows, AIX or HP-UX.  However, that Java can run on any platform that has a Java Virtual Machine and a Java Application Server such as Web Sphere, Web Logic or JBoss / Wildfly (for EJBs) or HTTP server such as Tomcat (for java web clients).

CA does have at least one client running Gen-generated Java EJBs under Web Sphere on z/OS.  Those EJBs were formerly CICS COBOL servers that were re-platformed to Java EJB.  CA created a prototype to generate Java from a z/OS Host Encyclopedia for this customer but there has not been enough customer interest as yet to actually make that a GA product as yet.  See the discussion on the EDGE community site.

What is the purpose of your question?  What problem are you trying to solve?

===

I don't believe the situation has changed since then i.e.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: JAVA in - Z/OS

Posted May 07, 2018 01:39 AM

Hi Lynn;

Currently, two years are too long in the software industry I was expected CA will include new enchantment or a change in the Roadmap for HE.

Anyway, my client transformed 80 % from his Applications from CICS/COBOL to Windows /JAVA since 2008 

Ten years now the new Applications run properly with some Challenges and recomendations 

• WebSphere in windows is not the best selection (will move to Z/OS)
    • Transfer from CICS to JAVA need to  transfer  from HE to CSE (in the process)
    • Generation Java form toolset will  do a lot of headaches due to no impacted option (GuardIEn  with CSE)
    • Recommend to use Automation deployment tool (POC from CA Automic Automic Is Now CA Technologies - CA Technologies )

• 4.  Re: JAVA in - Z/OS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 06, 2018 11:22 PM

Tarek,

Gen EJB servers are deployable to WebSphere in z/OS. USS is used only to support WebSphere where needed - no current Gen product utilizes USS, including the Host Encyclopedia.

Unfortunately, while WebSphere deployment and execution of generated Java applications is supported on z/OS, there is no Java generation capability on z/OS (as you noted). Generation would have to occur on those platforms that support generation and packaging of Java generated applications.

At this time, there are no plans to support Java generation and packaging on the mainframe (z/OS).

Regards,

Rob Thompson

Product Owner, CA Gen

• 5.  Re: JAVA in - Z/OS

Posted May 07, 2018 01:41 AM

So  CSE is  the only solution now