Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Query to list missing objects ?

Posted May 04, 2018 12:33 AM

Hello Folks, Good Day!

Does anyone have idea how to extract missing object executions when Automation Engine (AE) is down for some period ?

Ex., I see status as ENDED_TIMEOUT in scheduler when system is back and could able to extract objects with this status but also need extraction with calendar and active/inactive info

If possible to also indicate whether object would run the impacted time or not (based on calendar and active/inactive info)

Please share how you extract such list when you had issues with your AE system

Thanks in advance. 

Regards, 

Vidya Praveen

• 2.  Re: Query to list missing objects ?

Posted Jun 08, 2018 12:07 PM

We had several unplanned outages in the last year.  We have never automated the recovery selection process that you speak of.  We do it manually like so;

1. Bring up a list of ENDED_TIMEOUT objects for review.

2. Check each one against our AUTO-FORECAST reports to determine which ones really needed to run on that day.  (Some will be skipped due to calendar restrictions.)

3. Triage the remaining list to eliminate those objects that our staff know do not need to be recovered.

4. Manually kick off the remaining objects with the assistance of staff who can assure the promptset values are set correctly (which can be tricky if the outage ran past midnight, as one of our outages did) and that they are being recovered in an acceptable sequence.

To support this manual process, we run a daily auto-forecast report in UC4 each morning so the auto-forecast list for that day is readily available and printable.  We use the UCYBDBRT utility to generate this report.

Yes the thought had crossed my mind to that the selection of ENDED-TIMEOUT's and matching them to AUTO-FORECAST should be programmable.  But we are a small shop and I haven't been able to justify the effort.

• 3.  Re: Query to list missing objects ?

Posted Jun 08, 2018 12:09 PM

Trying to do this sort of process job-by-job is humanly impossible.  So we only evaluate things at the workflow level.  Any individual jobs in our schedules that are considered business critical have been wrapped inside of workflows so they will not be missed.

• 4.  Re: Query to list missing objects ?

Posted Jun 12, 2018 03:40 PM

we do not automate outage recovery either, but there is an option under "Modify Task" that is called "Reset Task". When the job ends with  a status of ENDED_TIMEOUT, we simply reset the task and it will run according to the calendar. If it should have run prior to the outage, it will run when reset. If it is calendared to not run that day, it will not run due to calendar. I have tossed around the idea of writing a job that will reset task for all ENDED_TIMEOUT processes in each schedule. 

• 5.  Re: Query to list missing objects ?

Posted Jun 12, 2018 04:30 PM

I had not played with "Reset Task" before.   Looks like a good feature that would fit the bill in 99% of the cases!

In our case I would be hesitant to use it on an after-midnight recovery, because the dynamically computed date parameters that are based upon system date will probably be computed wrong.

• 6.  Re: Query to list missing objects ?

Posted Jun 12, 2018 04:44 PM
      |   view attached

Yeah, we have a couple of those that use the system date minus one or others that use the system date minus 6, so in that case human intervention is necessary. But, it does work for us in most cases and during planned outages when we stop batch cleanly.

Christine Bauder

Assistant Director of Production Services, University Information Services

University of Colorado

1800 Grant Street, Suite 200

Denver, CO  80203

t  303 860 4334

c 303 263 3288

www.cu.edu<http://www.cu.edu/>

• 7.  Re: Query to list missing objects ?

Posted Jun 20, 2018 11:22 PM

Thanks Pete and Christine for your replies.

Actually we can't take any action on ENDED_TIMEOUT flows until we get confirmation from Customer. So, only thing we have to do is extract the list and send it to our users for review. Now toughest part is to get this exact impacted list based on calendar condition, sometimes schedulers also auto restart so we have to consider this condition too. At present we are doing this manually with multiple lists.

AUTO forecast is not enabled and is also not an option for me because of too many schedulers and multiple clients.

Therefore I am looking for any helpful SQL query to get this list.

• 8.  Re: Query to list missing objects ?

Posted Jun 21, 2018 05:15 PM

I don't know if this query would help or not.  It reports all scheduled tasks;

select oh_client as client
    , oh_name as SCHEDULE
    , jpp_object as OBJECT
    , JPP_ErlstStTime as STARTTIME
    , jppc_calekeyname as CALENDAR
    from uc4.dbo.oh
    inner join uc4.dbo.jpp
    on oh_idnr = jpp_oh_idnr
    left outer join uc4.dbo.jppc
    on jppc_jpp_lnr = jpp_lnr and jppc_oh_idnr = oh_idnr
    where oh_otype = 'JSCH'
    order by 3,2,4;

• 9.  Re: Query to list missing objects ?

Posted Jun 22, 2018 02:31 AM

Thanks for your pro-activeness with the query  :-)

Yeah this is good with the info of scheduled tasks and is similar to the one I have but doesn't help with AH/EH records & ENDED_TIMEOUT track.