Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Where to store lookup data

Posted May 04, 2018 03:47 AM

Hello,

I was just wondering where everyone stores there lookup data ..

e.g. currently we have a variable object containing a list of job names with their corresponding code that needs executing.  The job names are displayed in a prompt set which when selected activates a generic workflow executing the code also stored in the static variable. This works fine but I guess any new jobs that need adding would require the variable object to be deployed to all clients that need to run the new job.

Would this be better stored in a sql table somewhere? Is it recommended/possible to create tables in the automic backend database and then access them using SQLI variables. Or have another seperate database to be used specifically for such interactions?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Cheers,

Dan

• 2.  Re: Where to store lookup data

Posted May 04, 2018 05:51 AM

I would argue against creating custom tables in the Automic db.

We once had one, and at least in the officially sanctioned Automic health check, we were directed to remove any tables that are not part of Automic's distribution.

So I'd rather go with a separate db, just to avoid any potential future support discussions.

Hth,

Carsten

• 3.  Re: Where to store lookup data

Posted May 04, 2018 05:53 AM

Cheers Carsten

• 4.  Re: Where to store lookup data

Posted May 04, 2018 05:56 AM

You're very welcome

• 5.  Re: Where to store lookup data
    Best Answer

Posted May 04, 2018 08:33 AM

Yoho,

same from my side - no "enhancement" of the Automic DB.

A colleague from another department stores some config data of his objects in an external DB and is very satisfied with it.

Many (or most) Automiclers store configs in VARA obects.

Here I would recommend seperating system parameters and environment parameters.

Another possibility would be storing parameters in a file....

Depending from one's needs & system & evironment characteristics I personally would use the static VARA solution, because its the quickest - compared with the others in case of heavy use.

cheers, Wolfgang

• 6.  Re: Where to store lookup data

Posted May 04, 2018 09:08 AM

Howdo,

Will stick with the vara route then for the time being.

Thanks again for the input ..

Have a good weekend

Cheers,

Dan