DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

CA UIM Installation

• 1.  CA UIM Installation

Posted May 07, 2018 07:57 AM

Hi All,

I am new to CA UIM and planning to install UIM in UT now.

Please help me with the below queries (OS: RHEL 7 and DB: Oracle).

1. I have installed Oracle Client on UIM Server as we have Oracle DB as database. Do I still need to install "Instant Client" as mentioned in below URL?

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management/8-2/en/installing/pre-installation-planning/linux-and-oracle

Please refer to “Oracle Database Prerequisites” section.

2. What are other pre-requisite software need to be installed on UIM/UMP Servers (We are installing it on RHEL 7.x)?

CA documentation is bit confusing and not clear to me.

Thank you.

Regards,

Rajashekar

• 2.  Re: CA UIM Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 07, 2018 08:33 AM

It is not recommended to have the database on the same server as the primary UIM as they are both very IO intensive

and this will impact performance.

However where ever the primary UIM server in installed the instant client must be installed as well.

The data_engine currently can only use the instant client.

• 3.  Re: CA UIM Installation

Posted May 07, 2018 08:48 AM

Thank you Gene. We are using a separate server for oracle DB.

I see an old installation in our environment where the the oracle.conf file located at /etc/ld.so.conf.d is having the oracle client entry (see below) instead of instant client and is working fine. 

/app/oracle/client/12c/12.1.0.2/lib

As per our unix admin, they support only the RHEL tested software packages. Is there any package available for instant client in RedHat repository?

Our OS version: RHEL 7.5 64 bit.

if it is not available in RedHat repository, from where I can download this? please suggest.

Rajashekar

• 4.  Re: CA UIM Installation

Posted May 07, 2018 10:10 PM

I guess even installing Oracle Client should also work , Instant Client is just the light weight version of Oracle Client which includes the communication layer minus the utilities like sqlplus , etc., 

See below 

Difference Between Oracle lnstant Client and Oracle Client - Stack Overflow 

Instant Client can be downloaded from Oracle

Install and Configure Your Database Software - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.5.1 - CA Technologies Documentat… 

Oracle Instant Client Downloads 

• 5.  Re: CA UIM Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 07, 2018 10:53 PM

Hi 

You can check the downloads from below link 

Oracle Instant Client Downloads 

• 6.  Re: CA UIM Installation

Posted May 10, 2018 09:21 AM

I wouldn't recommend using Oracle at all for this product.  We are one of the only customers using Oracle for our backend and have had nothing but issues.  Our AWR reports are showing a persisting 2GB/sec read throughput on the database.  These issues don't appear to be happening with other database platforms.  There is no migration plan to move to a different database later on so you will need to start over if you want to try again with MySQL or MSSQL.

Support has not been able to fix many of our issues and are unsure what is going on.  We have pointed them in the right direction on fixing things like the data_engine not using multiple connections to the DB.  Good luck.

• 7.  Re: CA UIM Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2018 03:56 AM

you need to install 64bit version of compat-libstdc++-33 package on UIM server.

• 8.  Re: CA UIM Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2018 04:44 AM

Do you have all the information you need now? If so please mark the thread answered

• 9.  Re: CA UIM Installation

Posted May 08, 2018 09:43 AM

I have one last query. Installing Stand by or High Availability server documentation is not clear to me.

To install H/A server for primary hub, can I follow the below steps? Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. Install HUB using nimldr

2. Deploy the required probes including HA probe

3. Make the necessary configurations to the required probes.

• 10.  Re: CA UIM Installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2018 09:49 AM

at a high level yes this is correct.

Please do start a new thread for new topics.

• 11.  Re: CA UIM Installation

Posted May 08, 2018 09:56 AM

Thank you Gene for quick response. Sure, I will start a new thread going forward.

• 12.  Re: CA UIM Installation
    Best Answer

Posted May 08, 2018 06:12 AM

I was able to get it work with oracle client installed on the server. Oracle Client also contains the "Instant Client" and as per the installation steps Instant Client is required.

/app/oracle/client/12c/12.1.0.2/instantclient