Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  How easy is to upgrade our AWA env to new versions in future

Posted May 07, 2018 10:07 AM

Hello All,

I would like to know how easy to upgrade our AWA environment to the newer versions in future. Because we have setup this environment using ONE-Installer but not with standard installation. And how much downtime we would expect while upgrading.So please share your ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Srujan.

• 2.  Re: How easy is to upgrade our AWA env to new versions in future

Posted May 07, 2018 04:35 PM

'easy' is very relative here. That is going to depend on quite a few factors. What I would do if I was in your position is install a sandbox environment the same way as you did before and find out all these answers for yourself. There should be older versions of the software on the download center that you can use as a base version to upgrade from.

As for downtime, I would test out the zero down time feature and see how that performs. If you can afford to take a downtime to do the upgrade I would look at trimming down the DB size as much as possible before hand. Maybe run the upgrade with no statistics and/or reports for example.

And as always, make sure to grab a DB and binary file backup before upgrading any system.

• 3.  Re: How easy is to upgrade our AWA env to new versions in future

Posted May 08, 2018 03:09 AM

Hi Srujan,

Michael is right: easy is very, very relative. What is your infrastructure like? Are AE and AWI on the same server? Do you have multiple AE servers? Which version do you use? ...

If you can use Zero Downtime Upgrade you have good chances to have nearly no downtime. Perhaps a break while you upgrade the AWI (but the AE is still running) or a few seconds when the agents switches to the new version. Of course you have to prepare the update: read the documentation, prepare your actual installation, download the sources, unpack them, etc.

Best

Tim

• 4.  Re: How easy is to upgrade our AWA env to new versions in future

Posted May 08, 2018 03:17 AM

Thanks for the response, Tim.

We have this environment setup with ONE-Installer so both AWI and AE are apparently present on the same machine.We don't have multiple AE servers and the version is 12.1.

Can we do perform this ZDU in our environment? Anyways like Michael suggested, I would test in on a sandbox environment shortly.

Thanks,

Srujan.

• 5.  Re: How easy is to upgrade our AWA env to new versions in future

Posted May 08, 2018 03:32 AM

You should be able to perform the ZDU. I guess you should have to split your installation like it is descriped in the help.