DX NetOps

Expand all | Collapse all

Monitor VM Tools Status in CA Spectrum using VC AIM

• 1.  Monitor VM Tools Status in CA Spectrum using VC AIM

Posted May 15, 2018 01:03 AM

Hello All,

I am trying to monitor the status of VM Tools in Spectrum using a watch , I see the status information is reflected under the VMware Manager but the issue is with associating the alert which is generated by watch with the specific VM or at least include the VM name in the alert generated . The attribute only seems to be available at the vCenter level so when we create a watch it triggers a alert at vcenter with just the status of tools

Any clues on how we can best setup the monitoring for this in Spectrum and associate the alerts to VM or include the VM name in the alert at least which is generated by the watch

• 2.  Re: Monitor VM Tools Status in CA Spectrum using VC AIM

Posted May 16, 2018 01:39 AM

Any thoughts on this one please? 

• 3.  Re: Monitor VM Tools Status in CA Spectrum using VC AIM
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 05, 2018 10:22 AM

You should be able to do this with an Event Procedure. What you would need to do is have the threshold watch generate an event. When the event is generated, Spectrum passes 20 arguments to the event. These arguments are listed at Alarm Script Example - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

In the case of a watch on a list attribute, I believe #8 is the instance in the table. For the event that is generated when the watch threshold is exceeded, you can create a procedure to grab the value of Index or Host ID in the table that has the same instance as the value of Tool Status in the table and save that value to an event variable for the new event.

Here is one I did a while ago. You would just need to change the event id's and attribute id for your needs.

# This event, which should be activated by an
    # instance watch (which has the instance OID
    # in varbind 8) will generate a new event,
    # which has the value of extOutPut (0x3d00a5),
    # using the same instance as the violated watch
    # instance, in varbind 20
    0x0f320001 E 50 P " \
    CreateEventWithAttributes( \
    { C CURRENT_MODEL }, \
    { H 0x0f320002 }, \
    SetEventAttribute( \
    GetEventAttributeList(), \