Automic Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Workflow Query

• 1.  Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 10:17 AM

Hi Everyone, 

Hope you all are doing great

I have a scenario and would need your help.

We have a workflow JOBP.NEW.CFV_DAILY_RUN inside the schedule ESB_CFV_DAILY_SCHEDULE which is running daily.  

In that, Currently we are adding a job manually inside JOBP.NEW.2 workflow on every Thursday, 23rd of every month and last day of every month as shown below

what I have planned is to place the Workflow in between and apply the calendar to achieve the dates it needs to run on.

my confusion is with dependencies, As for now the other 4 jobs are dependent on JOB 1.

Requirement is for all the other days, these 4 Jobs should be dependent on JOB 1 and on Specific days(as per calendar) these jobs should be dependent on Inserted Job.

Please let me know the most accurate way to automate this to reduce the manual effort of inserting the job everytime it is required to.

Also, the DEV and PROD both instances reside on the same server and this schedule is running in PROD, so would there be any server level impact in PROD if we test this scenario in DEV?

Thanks

SHani

• 2.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 01:10 PM

It is OK to have the 4 jobs always wait on the new job.  On off days, the new job will return a 'skipped' condition.  And skipped qualifies as an ANY_OK outcome so the 4 jobs will still run.

• 3.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 01:14 PM

That is unfortunate that PROD and DEV are on the same server.  And it is even worse if they are just two clients within a single Automation Engine.   You really should have two Automation Engine's on two different servers to assure they are not sharing production passwords, etc...

With your configuration, there is some risk that doing a DEV test might impact PROD.   Only someone who fully understands your implementation would know for sure.

• 4.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 01:36 PM

Our AE for PROD and DEV/UAT are on different servers, only for this Application We have DEV and PROD agents on the same server.

• 5.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 01:40 PM

Also, Can we directly implement something in PROD, if we have a sure shot solution to this?

• 6.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 01:45 PM

Yes you can.  But if it fails, you'll have to take full responsibility.

• 7.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 02:21 PM

could you please tell me the process to achieve this

• 8.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 02:30 PM

I would install the new job the same way you do now on the last day of every month.  But in addition, go into the new jobs task properties and go to the Calendar tab to set its calendar rules.

• 9.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 02:36 PM

what about the dependencies, how they will switch according to days.

So currently the 4 jobs which are there depend on ENDED_OK status of JOB 1 

however on these specific days, these 4 Jobs will need to depend on ENDED_OK status of New job which we insert.

• 10.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 03:36 PM

I would look at making the new job an else skip condition on the calendar keywords. Then the down stream jobs I would use ANY_OK which is satisfied by the SKIP condition

• 11.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 03:42 PM

yes you can set the condition ANY_OK which includes all good conditions or if you don't like ANY_OK you can use ENDED_OK_OR_INACTIVE. This will cover exactly the two conditions

• 12.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 03:55 PM

can I put 2 conditions on the successors as below

JOB1 : Ended_OK

Job2 : ENDED_OK_OR_INACTIVE

and successors will only execute if both of these conditions are true.

• 13.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 16, 2018 04:05 PM

Well task 2 should require ENDED_OK on task 1 and all the downstream tasks from 2 should have ENDED_OK_OR_INACTIV

• 14.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 17, 2018 02:42 PM

Hi 

yes you can define a dependency from JOB1 and another dependency from JOB2. Each dependency can have a condition as you mentioned

• 15.  Re: Workflow Query

Posted May 18, 2018 11:53 AM

Thanks everyone

I am running this set up now and will let you know if it behaves otherwise.