Rally Software

• 1.  Import stories with Release and Iteration

Posted May 17, 2018 10:29 AM

Hey guys,

The import format for user stories does not have Release, Iteration and Parent fields in it, while the export pulls out all of this information.

Why are the import and export formats different? What can I do so that users can just export data, correct some fields in it and then are able to import it back?

Regards,

Nivi

• 2.  Re: Import stories with Release and Iteration
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2018 06:42 AM

Hi Niveditha, 

Currently if you import using the UI or the Excel Add-in it will not update items, instead new items will be created. This can cause a lot of confusion. The next version of the Excel Add-in may allow you to update items, but I'm not sure yet

I don't believe it is possible to import stories with their Iteration or Release through the Agile Central UI, except under certain circumstance. For example, if you go to the Track > Iteration Status page and do them import from there it will inherit the Iteration you are currently viewing. 

I do think its possible to import the iteration and release through the Excel Add-in, but have not personally tested it yet. You can find more information about the Excel Add-in here CA Agile Central Add-in for Excel Installation & User Guide | CA Agile Central Help 

• 3.  Re: Import stories with Release and Iteration

Posted May 18, 2018 09:18 AM

Hey,

I just tried the "Track-Iteration status" import and found that although I don't enter the iteration name in the import sheet, it does get added while the story is created on Rally. This is much better than not having anything (iteration,release) at all.

I'm working on getting the excel add-in installed, so I'll give that a try. The issue is that it would be comfortable if the Agile Central UI itself allows import with release/iteration. Otherwise I'd have to have all users go through installations of pre-requisite softwares and then train them on excel add-in usage. It's just a lot of additional effort for the users which can be avoided by just the addition of 2 fields in the Agile central UI import format.

Thanks for letting me know about the "iteration status" page import though. 

However is there any other page that would allow release/iteration both to be imported? Or is CA working on something like this already?

Regards,

Nivi

P.S. I'm sorry, I didn't know how to figure out your name.