DX NetOps

• 1.  Is it possible to monitor the CPU use of a process?

Posted May 18, 2018 08:14 AM

Hi all,

I have a server monitored in Spectrum by systemedge, I have identified an antivirus process that consumes the cpu of the server. Is there any way to monitor the percentage or specific CPU use of this process so that it generates an alert after exceeding the threshold?

Thanks

• 2.  Re:  Is it possible to monitor the CPU use of a process?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2018 09:03 AM

Hi,

Yes, you can create a Watch on NRM_DevicCPUUUtilization.

Just find the instance in the table, and set the watch to monitor that instance…so your expression would be:

NRM_DevicCPUUUtilization.

Ie:  NRM_DevicCPUUUtilization.3

Set it to poll and then set the values in the Threshold window.

https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/how-can-ca-spectrum-be-used-to-monitor-and-alarm-on-individual-cpu-and-memory-for-devices/kb000004218

Cheers!

Jay

• 3.  Re:  Is it possible to monitor the CPU use of a process?

Posted May 18, 2018 03:25 PM

Hi Jay thanks for the response, the instance that is monitored, in the example that you put: "7" is the PID variable (Parent ID) of the service on the server? I speak for windows OS. Or what does this instance refer to?

In case it is the PID it must be taken into account that with the restarts it changes.

• 4.  Re:  Is it possible to monitor the CPU use of a process?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2018 04:07 PM

If you are using the rfc2790 process table then you can pull the index number from the hrSWRunIndex table (1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.1).

Cheers!

Jay

• 5.  Re:  Is it possible to monitor the CPU use of a process?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2018 04:08 PM
      |   view attached

You can also check the Running Processes table in the Information view…

• 6.  Re:  Is it possible to monitor the CPU use of a process?

Posted May 25, 2018 10:22 AM

Hi Jay, i have reviewed and the INDEX is not always kept for the same process, in my case the antivirus process has had the INDEX: 1, 2, 5, 6. That being the case, I do not see how to use the NRM_DeviceCpuUtilization.x attribute

• 7.  Re:  Is it possible to monitor the CPU use of a process?

Posted May 29, 2018 06:35 AM

I may be corrected, but...

IMHO the index reflects a CPU core. So you can monitor core utilization with a watch on a NRM_DevicCPUUUtilization instance, but this does not 100% monitor a specific process. The cores that are being utilized for that process may switch throughout the processes lifetime. Also it may fork and/or use multiple cores in parallel. 

Best regards, 

Marco

• 8.  Re:  Is it possible to monitor the CPU use of a process?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 29, 2018 08:23 AM

You are correct.  I believe I provided the correct below through the use of watch process on the SystemEDGE agent. 

• 9.  Re:  Is it possible to monitor the CPU use of a process?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2018 09:16 AM

Yes, but I believe you have to make the configuration on the agent itself.  The attribute you're looking for is procTimePermil:  Process Attributes .  Use watch process or the VAIM console to configure:  watch process Directive--Add Entries to the Process Monitor Table .