Layer7 API Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Unable to get request XML: Stream timeout

• 1.  Unable to get request XML: Stream timeout

Posted May 21, 2018 02:15 AM

Hi Team,
    Can you help me out of this.I'm getting below exception when client made request.

• 2.  Re: Unable to get request XML: Stream timeout

Posted May 21, 2018 02:29 AM

can you confirm if the endpoint is responsive? usually you will see this error when the client system closes a connection but the Gateway still holds data to send to the client.

• 3.  Re: Unable to get request XML: Stream timeout

Posted May 21, 2018 04:56 AM

Thanks for quick responding.endpoint is responsive.Even though client is increase the time out from 2 to 4 min.Still it doesn't work for us?

• 4.  Re: Unable to get request XML: Stream timeout

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 17, 2018 12:36 PM

Good morning,

The best place to start is to see what is happening to the back-end latency and how the HTTP Routing assertion is configured. It is best to fail fast so that the client is aware so setting the connection timeout to around 500ms, read timeout to between 2-5 seconds, and retries to 0. If the request has a longer response time from the back-end then look to increase the read timeout. From there review the client timeout and all the devices in between but this is normally only a concern if the request are taking more than 60 seconds but still worth reviewing. 

Also a review of the other integration that happen in policy like if authentication calls OAuth / LDAP provider or JDBC connections that are long running. Ultimately this error is when the client tears down the connection as it has run too long.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Broadcom Support

• 5.  RE: Re: Unable to get request XML: Stream timeout

Posted Apr 17, 2020 07:38 AM
    Hi,

I have same issue. Actually, I am not sure if I am getting correct request payload from the source, because request payload contains 
    Can you please guide what should be the solution? I assume here as payload would be bit huge. Does huge payload size cause issues in processing? Is it the main cause of the connection reset?

Thanks,
    Ravish

• 6.  RE: Re: Unable to get request XML: Stream timeout

Posted Apr 17, 2020 08:11 AM
    Look at this, it may help
    https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=d829f7ab-a535-48dd-88a9-e5c694db99c3&CommunityKey=0f580f5f-30a4-41de-a75c-e5f433325a18&tab=digestviewer#bmd829f7ab-a535-48dd-88a9-e5c694db99c3

• 7.  RE: Re: Unable to get request XML: Stream timeout

Posted Apr 20, 2020 05:27 AM
    Hi There,

Community Ref: https://community.broadcom.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MID=779205

Here is KB article to look at for Size related issue
    https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/api-gateway-optimizing-for-large-files-and-messages/kb000042880

Stream timeout are usually due to large response received from the backend server that is over the timeout period. Mostly adjusting the timeout period sort the problem

Try hitting the server directly to get an estimate of expected size and time. Then you can adjust you policy to meet their requirement

Finally, you can also use the option of streaming 
    https://community.broadcom.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MID=754654

------------------------------
    Pre-Sales Consultant
    CA Southern Africa

• 8.  RE: Re: Unable to get request XML: Stream timeout

Posted Apr 20, 2020 07:13 AM
    Hi All,

Thanks for the reply. But, here the problem is not with the payload size, because API works fine with huge payload. I checked payload size, and there is no issue with that.

Further i tried to investigate more and found this issue seems to be API Plan Fragment, where there is a limitation of requests per day per API. Because, all these errors occur only at the end of the day. So, I am not sure why. Can anyone have any idea why these errors occur at the end of the day or can say start of any day(around 12AM)?
    Another thing, the error is not limited to only one API, it is for many APIs.

Please suggest me what could be the issue?

Ravish

• 9.  RE: Re: Unable to get request XML: Stream timeout
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 21, 2020 05:47 AM
    Is you gateway integrated with API Developer Portal if yes.

There is an Account plan and API plan section that you will need to adjust to cater for this requirement.

Basically Account Plan and API plan fragment are there to provide restriction with regards to a number of calls and quota size. You can adjust this in the portal using the administration tab to adjust API plans and Publish tab to adjust the Account Plan.

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-api-management/api-developer-portal/4-4/publishers/manage-plans/manage-account-plans.html

Pre-Sales Consultant
    CA Southern Africa

• 10.  RE: Re: Unable to get request XML: Stream timeout

Posted Apr 21, 2020 07:00 AM
    Yes, gateway is linked to the problem. Even i suspect that could be the issue.
    Production plan was not added to the API, which were failing. I have added now. I will monitor for few days and post back if it helps or not.