CA Service Management

• 1.  Update incidents via email? (Log comments, status, attachments)

Posted May 21, 2018 04:08 PM

I'm trying to make a workflow that will update incident tickets in Service Desk via email but I can't find the right documentation to help. I want my workflow to be able to log comments (internal and not), update incident status, and add an attachment to the incident (this would be a findings report in PDF or Excel format). I keep seeing Maileater thrown around but it looks like that's meant for configuring how Service Desk ingests inbound emails? But I imagine that's already an inbound interface ready for the purpose I'm asking about. Can anyone point me to the right documentation?

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Update incidents via email? (Log comments, status, attachments)

Posted May 22, 2018 07:30 AM

Hi Mike,

Yes, Maileater will do the trick for you here as it has the capability to create and update SDM tickets via mail.

The best place to start is on the below link:

How to Configure the Mailbox to Handle Inbound Emails - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

===

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 3.  Re: Update incidents via email? (Log comments, status, attachments)

Posted May 22, 2018 09:53 AM

Thanks for looking into this. I say that documentation but it looks like that is meant for configuring Service Desk to ingest emails a certain way. I don't have any admin access to our install so I can't do anything with that. Also we're using version 12.7 of Service Desk. I didn't see anywhere in the documentation the data I would need to include in my emails to correspond them to a certain incident. The only parameter I know is %Incident_ID and that led me to find these:

CA SDM Text API Interface - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation

Tags Used with Maileater - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

These will still work  in 12.7 right?

Thanks

• 4.  Re: Update incidents via email? (Log comments, status, attachments)

Posted May 22, 2018 10:29 AM

There is more documentation in the Text APi section - CA SDM Text API Interface - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation . Maileater is just an input method for the Text API (body of the Email gets passed to the text API), so the Text API does the interpretation of the message. In the section above, you can see you can update an existing ticket in the How an End User Updates a Ticket Example paragraph.

Not much has changed int the Text API interface, so the docs should apply to 12.7 most of the time. One particular new feature is the Maileater's ability to convert HTML mails to Text mails (so they can be read by the Text API) - that's only available in r17.1 .

• 5.  Re: Update incidents via email? (Log comments, status, attachments)

Posted May 23, 2018 04:24 AM

If you try to integrate with SDM , I will stronglyadvise that you contact the admin of that system and that you work with him to put the right setup for it.

Not to say that either if maileater can potentially do the trick, best options will be to use web services for such integrations as email can't be consider a reliable channel for such.

My 2 cents

/J

• 6.  Re: Update incidents via email? (Log comments, status, attachments)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 22, 2018 04:04 PM

Hello,

Most of the functionality you are asking about should be possible in maileater per the documentation that's been mentioned.  

The only other thing I'd like to add is that the version of SDM you are using is out of support.  The versions supported are currently releases 14.1 and 17.x.  Maileater has a significant functionality change to accept HTML based mails in 17.1.