Test Data Manager

• 1.  CA TDM Portal 4.5 unable to start and Start icon vanished

Posted May 22, 2018 09:11 AM

Hi,

We were upgrdaing the CA TDM portal from 4.4 version to 4.5 in our sandbox server. It seems after installation is completed, i don't see the CA TDM 4.5 launch icon, and i am not able to start the CA TDM Portal services too.  Please help on the same.

• 2.  Re: CA TDM Portal 4.5 unable to start and Start icon vanished

Posted May 22, 2018 09:41 AM

Sunil,

Did you receive any errors during the upgrade?

The "Error 2" is exactly as it states. File not found. If an error occurred during the upgrade, the installation is rolled back and the files for the portal service no longer exist.

Being that this is currently in your sandbox environment I would assume that these are VMs that had a snapshot before the upgrade was attempted... So you should do the following:

1. Restore the snapshot
    2. Once the VM is up and running again, stop the "CA Test Data Manager Portal" and "OrientDB" services
    3. backup the following folders:
      1. "CA Test Data Manager Portal\conf"
      2. "CA Test Data Manager Portal\service\conf"
      3. "CA Test Data Manager Portal\orientdb\config"
      4. "C:\ProgramData\CA\CA Test Data Manager Portal" (this one may be large)
    4. Attempt the upgrade again. If it fails, I would recommend opening a case with support and provide the portal install log from %TEMP%
    5. If you want/need to recover from the failed upgrade, manually remove all remnants of the Portal install:
      1. Ensure you have a current snapshot and valid backups of the directories noted above
      2. Open an Administrative command prompt
      3. sc delete CATestDataManagerPortal
      4. sc delete OrientDB
      5. reboot
      6. Delete C:\Program Files\CA\CA Test Data Manager Portal
      7. Delete C:\ProgramData\CA\CA Test Data Manager Portal
      8. Reinstall portal - during the reinstall you MUST specify the SAME OrientDB password and installation paths that were used in the original installation.
      9. Once the instillation is completed, stop the "CA Test Data Manager Portal" and "OrientDB" services
      10. Restore the backed up folders
      11. Restart services

Regards,

Sean

• 3.  Re: CA TDM Portal 4.5 unable to start and Start icon vanished

Posted May 22, 2018 10:13 AM

Hi,

Just to add on to the above point, a month back, we had migrated our SQL server repository instance from 2012 to 2016, and the server connection details was changed. Since i believe , during the initial installation of TDM portal we would provide inputs on SQL server repository details .  So, is that during this upgradation, this might have not fetching the right repository details and is tending to fail?  Now I am worried, if I do the TDM Portal installation on the working servers, will it affect the same issue over there, while upgrading from 4.4 to 4.5( Note in those servers, we haven't upgraded the SQL server versions from 2012 to 2016)

Now for the current challenge, Whats your suggestion

Do i need to go for the restore of the server sanpshot and do the installation again or

do I need to recover from the failed upgrade, manually remove all remnants of the Portal install:

1. Ensure you have a current snapshot and valid backups of the directories noted above
    2. Open an Administrative command prompt
    3. sc delete CATestDataManagerPortal
    4. sc delete OrientDB
    5. reboot
    6. Delete C:\Program Files\CA\CA Test Data Manager Portal
    7. Delete C:\ProgramData\CA\CA Test Data Manager Portal
    8. Reinstall portal - during the reinstall you MUST specify the SAME OrientDB password and installation paths that were used in the original installation.
    9. Once the instillation is completed, stop the "CA Test Data Manager Portal" and "OrientDB" services
    10. Restore the backed up folders
    11. Restart services

BR,

Sunil

• 4.  Re: CA TDM Portal 4.5 unable to start and Start icon vanished

Posted May 22, 2018 11:54 AM

Sunil,

The connection details are specified in "C:\Program Files\CA\CA Test Data Manager Portal\conf\application.properties" - I assume that after the migration from SQL 2012 to SQL 2016 that the details were updated here accordingly? And that Portal was functioning properly after the repo migration?

It's up to you how you want to handle the scenario... If the sandbox testing is also being performed to ensure a successful upgrade (and not just sanity testing of 4.5 vs 4.4), then that failed - so you should restore the snapshot, reproduce the failure and open a support case with the upgrade log so we can determine the root cause prior to encountering problems in production.

Regards,

Sean

• 5.  Re: CA TDM Portal 4.5 unable to start and Start icon vanished

Posted May 22, 2018 12:18 PM

Hi Sean,

This error exists, once the installation was completed, and when i started to run the services and I Suspect this issue is due to the repository server connection details got changed as mentioned from the above chained response.

BR,

Sunil

• 6.  Re: CA TDM Portal 4.5 unable to start and Start icon vanished

Posted May 22, 2018 12:01 PM

Hi, Sunil,

Email narma13@ca.com and i will try to help you.

Thanks and Regards,

Manju

• 7.  Re: CA TDM Portal 4.5 unable to start and Start icon vanished

Posted May 22, 2018 12:23 PM

Hi Manju,

Thanks for you help. I had send you an email .

BR,

Sunil

• 8.  Re: CA TDM Portal 4.5 unable to start and Start icon vanished

Posted May 22, 2018 04:46 PM

sunil.hs are you working on this problem for a different customer? An issue came in with your exact description from a different contact.

narma13 please add me to the loop.

• 9.  Re: CA TDM Portal 4.5 unable to start and Start icon vanished
    Best Answer

Posted May 23, 2018 03:20 AM

Yes. Now the issue is resolved. Manjunath helped on the same. Thanks.

• 10.  Re: CA TDM Portal 4.5 unable to start and Start icon vanished

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 23, 2018 11:57 AM

Manju had helped them to re-install TDM Portal which resolved the issue.