Test Data Manager

• 1.  Connection to MS SQL TDM Repository using Windows Authentication

Posted May 23, 2018 11:34 PM

The customer has an internal policy not to use mixed authentication mode for SQL Server. 

After following the instructions contained in Enable Integrated Security for Repository Access in Datamaker - CA Test Data Manager - 4.5 - CA Technologies Documentati… , Datamaker seems to be working fine.

However, I cannot stand up a TDOD service and GTSubset cannot connect to the repository using Windows authentication.

The customer intends to invest in CA ARD, but not being able to connect to the TDoD service and consequently to the TDM repository is impacting negatively in their decision.

Is there a workaround to achieve the connection to the repository without SQL server mixed mode authentication?

thanks

• 2.  Re: Connection to MS SQL TDM Repository using Windows Authentication

Posted May 24, 2018 11:53 AM

Hi,

can you please email me on narma13@ca.com, i can try to help you.

Thanks and Regards,

Manju

• 3.  Re: Connection to MS SQL TDM Repository using Windows Authentication

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 29, 2018 01:51 PM

Hello,

Were the 2 of you able to work this to resolution?

If so, would it be possible to share the resolution to the thread?

• 4.  Re: Connection to MS SQL TDM Repository using Windows Authentication

Posted May 31, 2018 10:16 AM

Hi, Ryan,

Issue is closed, Did a webex with Fabio and we were able to start the TDoD service as windows administrator in Windows Service Page.

Thanks and Regards,

Manju

• 5.  Re: Connection to MS SQL TDM Repository using Windows Authentication
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 01, 2018 03:40 AM

Hello all, 

Just to document all that has been done to achieve the connection to the repository using Windows authentication:

1)  DataMaker - This is an easy one. ODBC DSN driver has to be created using Windows Authentication. The procedure can be found currently in docops.

2) GT Subset -  Copy  SQLAUTH.dll 64 bit into Data Maker directory. The file can be found in C:\progfiles\gt\datamaker\sqlserver DLL's

3) TDodD Service - I understand this is slowly being replaced by the Portal, but CA ARD relies on that to use data painter. So, what needed to be done here is alter the connection string in the config TDoD config file to include "integrated security=true ;" userid and password must be removed as it is not required anymore. Check the connection is successful using the TDoD configuration tool. This in theory should be enough to start the service. But, if you click the "start service" button, the service will not start. Checking the TDoD logs,  the userid logon string is not correct and the service won't start ( I have created a case with CA Support) . In order to fix that, a simple solution was to right click on the TDoD service on the "Windows Services" application. And provide the administrator user credentials manually. That will hopefully start the TDoD service successfully.

Thanks Manju, you provided great help .

Regards

Fabio Machado