DX NetOps

• 1.  How to Clear Sysview's LIFETIME Alerts in Spectrum?

Posted May 24, 2018 08:31 AM

We set up the LIFETIME metric to monitor some CICS transactions. When the transaction exceeds the defined Threshhold, an alert is sent to the Spectrum, however, when the transaction ends, the alert remains active in Spectrum and we have to perform manual clearing at all times.

Below is an example of the LIFETIME metric set up in our environment.

• 2.  Re: How to Clear Sysview's LIFETIME Alerts in Spectrum?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 27, 2018 07:03 PM

I am not familiar with Sysview, however Spectrum relays on incoming *clear* trap to be able to clear the alarm. You may have configured *set* trap to raise alarm in Spectrum but *clear* trap wasn't configured to clear the alarm.

I suggest you can check the following

1. When the alert was cleared on Sysview, does Sysview send *clear* trap to Spectrum?

2. Is there Alert mapping defined in Spectrum to process the *clear* trap?
        3. Is Event Disposition configured in Spectrum to clear the alarm?

Please check the following documentation

Event Configuration - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation  

• 3.  Re: How to Clear Sysview's LIFETIME Alerts in Spectrum?

Posted May 28, 2018 10:11 AM

Good Morning,

Thanks for the analysis and suggestions. Let's review your suggestions.

Should I register my questioning in the SPECTRUM forum?

• 4.  Re: How to Clear Sysview's LIFETIME Alerts in Spectrum?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 28, 2018 06:26 PM

Hi Felix,

Yes, this is the place to share your question about Spectrum. Please share with us.

Regards,

Widjaja.

• 5.  Re: How to Clear Sysview's LIFETIME Alerts in Spectrum?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 30, 2018 01:57 PM

Felix,

This SYSVIEW LIFETIME threshold is defined as Type TRANS, which means it applies to each individual instance/execution of tranid AGEN.  At the instance level there is no concept of a 'clear' trap, as the 'problem' trap may have only been generated when the transaction ended.

Alternatively, you may consider changing this threshold (or adding a new one specifically for Spectrum trap purposes) with Type SYSTEM instead of TRANS.  Type SYSTEM means the LIFETIME of all the instances of AGEN that executed in the previous 1 minute interval will be averaged together and compared to the 1 second Limit on the threshold.  Type SYSTEM thresholds can return to NORMAL status as warranted.

• 6.  Re: How to Clear Sysview's LIFETIME Alerts in Spectrum?

Posted Jun 01, 2018 09:48 AM

Good morning Douglas,

By changing the metric definition in sysview, as you suggested, it does not work and does not raise alert.

• 7.  Re: How to Clear Sysview's LIFETIME Alerts in Spectrum?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 01, 2018 11:38 AM

Felix,

Sorry, I left out an important detail.  In order to use the Type SYSTEM flavor of any transaction threshold there needs to be a matching data collection 'bucket' defined for it on CSTATUS.  In your example case you will need to add an entry for LIFETIME AGEN on CSTATUS (or parmlib member CICSSTAT) for region CICSHML2.