Service Virtualization

• 1.  How to check portal logs

Posted May 28, 2018 04:32 AM

I am using DevTest Portal, trying to import one more request to the existing R and R pair. It is getting failed and I need to check logs to identify what is the issue.

Please guide me on how to check logs using DevTest portal. 

• 2.  Re: How to check portal logs
    Best Answer

Posted May 28, 2018 10:09 AM

The Portal log files are generally stored on the server in a directory LISA_HOME/lisatmp_x.x.x/portal.log where LISA_HOME is the DevTest installation directory and lisatmp_x.x.x is the version of DevTest (e.g., lisatmp_10.3.0).

However, it is possible for an administrator to place the logs in another directory location for various reasons.  Refer to:

Logging Properties File - DevTest Solutions - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation  

If you happen to be running all DevTest components locally, the log files may be output to the logged in user's (RunAs) home directory.

• 3.  Re: How to check portal logs

Posted May 29, 2018 02:55 AM

Thank you for your response. I am not admin and hence I will not be able to see the logs since I dont have access to the environment where DevTest is installed and configured.

However, do you think it is good idea to have logs available for users as well who are using portal ?

For instance, I have created virtual service and it is throwing errors. If I had to see the log to troubleshoot, I am not able to do so.

• 4.  Re: How to check portal logs

Posted May 29, 2018 09:29 AM

Yes, I believe it is a good idea to provide some mechanism for accessing log file content subject to acceptable use guidelines within your specific organization. 

Portal's Inspection View can help you isolate most matching related issues; however, there are situations where log file access is necessary. I have seen customers use 3rd party tools such as Splunk and Elastic Stack to expose log content. Some place logs on a file share accessible to authorized users, and others require access via a change control process that involves Admin teams and paperwork. 

• 5.  Re: How to check portal logs

Posted May 29, 2018 09:32 AM

Great, thanks for your response. That clarifies.