Symantec Access Management

• 1.  Failed to create the Management Command Listener

Posted May 27, 2018 10:51 PM

Hi Team,

I am unable to get the smpolicysrv service up and running and the policy server is not catering to any requests due to the below error,

[23891/4151682784][Mon May 28 2018 04:17:59][SmPolicyServer.cpp:672][ERROR][sm-Server-05300] Failed to create the Management Command Listener

I found one link from CA Policy Server :: Failed to create the Management Command Listener  which mentions about the same, but its not helping.

I have changed the permissions of all 3 files in tmp folder as well as the tmp folder but the issue remains.

I even tried sourcing the env variables by . ./ca_ps_env.ksh but still the service wont start properly.

Can you please check and let me know what might be causing the issue and how can it be resolved.

Regards,

Pankaj Sharma

• 2.  Re: Failed to create the Management Command Listener

Posted May 28, 2018 01:46 AM

Hi Pankaj,

The best way to troubleshoot this would be to run the policy server using strace :

strace -Ff -t -i -v -o strace.log -s 16384 <command to start ps>

Then reviewing the strace.log will tell you exactly why and where it is failing.

If you haven't , I suggest opening a case with support.

Regards,

Ujwol

• 3.  Re: Failed to create the Management Command Listener

Posted May 28, 2018 04:09 AM

Hi Pankaj,

Try the below steps,

1.Please check the /tmp folder for files :
    *) GCL-SiteMinder-A.pipe
    *) GCL-SiteMinder-B.pipe
    *) GCL-SiteMinder.sem

Stop SiteMinder Policy Server

2. Delete files from /tmp folder
    *) GCL-SiteMinder-A.pipe
    *) GCL-SiteMinder-B.pipe
    *) GCL-SiteMinder.sem

3.  Source the environment variable  . ./ca_ps_env.ksh

4.Make sure the current user who runs policy server has full rights to these pipe files or Start Siteminder using a correct user like (smuser) etc

5.Check the smps.log does not have the Failed to create the Management Command Listener error after start-up.

Regards,

Leo Joseph.

• 4.  Re: Failed to create the Management Command Listener

Posted May 29, 2018 01:29 AM

Hi,

I was able to resolve the issue and start the service from smuser after doing a server reboot.

But I am still not sure what might have caused the issue and why I was not able to restart the service as smuser before rebooting.

I did changed the permissions and ownership of all file in /<ca_home>/siteminder directory but still faced same issue.

Regards,

Pankaj Sharma