Service Virtualization

• 1.  How DevTest will help in Test Automation

Posted May 30, 2018 09:33 AM

I am new to DevTest and interested to know what DevTest offers in Test Automation Space.

My apologies if my question sounds very basic. I have gone through lot of DevTest automation, but it doesn't give good explanation on what the scope and why we use that, all documentation talks is about how to use the tool with print screens. For example, copybundle creation. Document will tell us how to create/manage copybundle, but what is copybundle and why we use is something that I am not able to understand.

What type of tests can be automated using DevTest. I have gone through example project post installation of workstation, it has .tst file extensions. What is objective of this feature, there are tests and API tests ( which I understand ) as well. who is responsible to write test cases and what will it test. How does this act as a simulator for test automation.

• 2.  Re: How DevTest will help in Test Automation
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 30, 2018 11:40 AM

Please review this video links and DevTest  tutorials  on what  tests can be automated. 

Quick Tour of CA Application Test 10 - YouTube 

CA Application Test Tutorials - DevTest Solutions - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 3.  Re: How DevTest will help in Test Automation

Posted May 30, 2018 02:32 PM

sure, I will go through.

• 4.  Re: How DevTest will help in Test Automation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 30, 2018 12:56 PM

DevTest provides Complete, Collaborative and Continuous testing for SOA (Service-Oriented Architecture) applications. DevTest can be used to test SOA workflows through the life cycle from webapps, webservices, databases, messaging layers and application servers and more. Developers, QA teams and Business analysts can create functional and performance tests, Virtualize the LIVE transactions and analyze business transactions and architecture.

. Application Test component of DevTest lets you build and run test cases and suites.

. Service Virtualization components of Devtest lets you virtualize software service behavior and model a virtual service to stand in for the actual service during development and testing.

. The Application Insight feature captures live application traffic and uses this data to create visual paths that let you drill down into and analyze business transactions and architecture.

• 5.  Re: How DevTest will help in Test Automation

Posted May 30, 2018 02:31 PM

So far we are using only Service Virtualization component of DevTest. We are exploring testing automation as well. 

I will go through little more documentation and try to understand. However, if you have any POC on Test Automation or any example on how a project could use this feature, please do share.

• 6.  Re: How DevTest will help in Test Automation

Posted May 30, 2018 12:56 PM

To add to Shiney's response, a copybook bundle is a collection of files - the copybook itself, which is a text representation of a COBOL data structure, and a payload mapping file which identifies how an incoming request can be related to the structure in the copybook.

The above will mean very little unless you have need to process copybooks.