Symantec Access Management

• 1.  CA Single Sign-On manage fail authentication responses

Posted Jun 06, 2018 10:15 AM

Hello,

I'm working in a response configuration which I want to use to manage the authentication failures (wrong password, user not found, access denied, etc.)

In my desing, I have a login page deployed at a non protected zone.
    This page posts the user credentials to siteminders fcc page "forms/login.fcc".

If the credentials are OK, Siteminder redirects me to my service page (deployed in the protected zone) - this is my "happy path" and it is working just fine.

However, when the authentication fails, I'm redirected to my login page (non protected zone) and I want to consume the response added on the OnAuthAttempt / OnAccesReject / OnAuthReject events. Until now, the only way I managed to make it work was using a cookie variable (WebAgent-HTTP-Cookie-Variable) - but I dont want to use cookies.

In my desing, I was hoping to use a WebAgent-HTTP-Header-Variable (or maybe a WebAgent-HTTP-Authentication-Variable) to do it. But for an unknown reason, this values never gets back to my page at the non protected zone.

I was hoping to get your advise about :
    * why this approach is not working? Am I able retrieve a header response attribut in a non protected zone?
    * what would be the best practice (according to CA) to return a code or the raison of the failure to my login page? By the way, the variable SM_AUTHREASON always returns 0 even when the authentification fails.

PS 1 : I checked the smtracelog and I can clearly see that the response was activated and the values were added ... I just can't see them neither in the http response context, nor in the http request context.

PS 2 : I've also tried to work on the approach described on this link, and it also didn't work : https://communities.ca.com/thread/241737436

Chad

As per current design of CA SSO / SiteMinder.

1. If user has a valid SMSession on the Browser. On unprotected resources, User would be able to see Only Default SiteMinder Headers. User would not have access to Headers being passed by Responses. Remember the WebAgent is only a PEP (Policy Enforcement Point) and Policy Server is PDP (Policy Decision Point). If a Resource is defined as unprotected within Policy Server OR is not defined within Policy Server; it is evaluated as an unprotected resource by Policy Server. This is then communicated to WebAgent. WebAgent simply ignores these resources if the IsProtected() API call returns unprotected from WebAgent Cache or from Policy Server. Therefore there is no Reponse Headers. To put it in other terms, it is as good as SiteMinder isn't there intercepting / challenging / validating.

Best regards,
    Marcos

• 2.  Re: CA Single Sign-On manage fail authentication responses

Posted Jun 08, 2018 05:54 PM

Can you try this:

1. Change the login page to protected.

2. Protect the login page with anonymous auth scheme and assign access to all users 

• 3.  Re: CA Single Sign-On manage fail authentication responses

Posted Jun 10, 2018 11:40 PM

I am sure we should get header / cookie response we create for onAuthReject / onAuthAttempt rules. Did you check if you have associated the response object you have created to the correct rule(s) (onAuthReject / on AuthAttempt rules) in the policy object.

How are you trying to read these headers in your login page ? You should be able to read the header with the below line in java / jsp.

String header_name = request.getHeader("HeaderName");

You can also try to test it with SM Test Tool to see if you are getting the headers for the auth reject / auth attempt scenarios.

The value of the SM_AUTHREASON depends on the user state. You will get 0 as the response for the invalid login attempt and you will get 24 when the user account is locked. etc.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Gopi.

• 4.  Re: CA Single Sign-On manage fail authentication responses

Posted Jun 11, 2018 02:03 PM

Hi ujwols,

I already tried that, and it didn't work as well.

=(

GopiReddyIrala

Yep, I'm sure the responses are ok ... I added a static value to a cookie variable (HQCodeE) in the same response to be sure that it was really activated. I can read the cookie but not the header variable.

I also checked the smtracedefault.log and I can clearly see the values been added to the response, look :

[AuthenticateUser][User 'RCEM005_test-siteminder' is not authenticated by Policy Server.]
    [ProcessResponses][Calling SM_WAF_HTTP_PLUGIN->ProcessResponses.]
    [CSmHttpPlugin::ProcessResponses][Processing Authentication responses.]
    [CSmHttpPlugin::ProcessResponses][Processing LoginResponse, SmNo skipped]
    [CSmHttpPlugin::ProcessResponses][Setting custom HTTP header variable: 'HTTP_variablesession=test']
    [CSmHttpPlugin::ProcessResponses][Setting custom HTTP cookie: 'HQCodeE=2' from Policy Server]

In this particular case, I'm reading all the header content (on my server side code) and showing the result in my asp.net page.This is what I can read from my http context content :

Header Request Cache-Control = no-cache
    Header Request Connection = Keep-Alive
    Header Request Content-Length = 0
    Header Request Accept = text/html, application/xhtml+xml, */*
    Header Request Accept-Encoding = gzip, deflate
    Header Request Accept-Language = fr-CA
    Header Request Cookie = Langue=F; ASP.NET_SessionId=kaddnxju2lcsorp0aioqzp3j; LogonXP=RCEM005; Service=TWATH; FWK2015_SessionID=kaddnxju2lcsorp0aioqzp3j;
    Header Request Host = XXXXXXXXXXXXXX:95
    Header Request Referer = https://************
    Header Request User-Agent = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
    Header Request SM_USERDN =
    Header Request DNT = 1
    Header Request SM_SDOMAIN = .xxxxxxx.xx
    Header Request SM_AUTHTYPE = Not Protected
    Header Request SM_TRANSACTIONID = ea2b143c-740c6681-198ee098-311e175a-472c95ce-f08
    Header Request SM_USER =
    Header Request X-Forwarded-for = ***.XX.***.XX
    Header Request Forwarded = by=***.XX.***.XX;for=***.XX.***.XX;proto=https;host=***.xxxxxxx.xx
    Header Response Server = Microsoft-IIS/8.5
    Header Response Set-Cookie = Langue=F; path=/; secure; HttpOnly
    Header Response X-AspNetMvc-Version = 5.2
    Cookies Langue = F
    Cookies ASP.NET_SessionId = kaddnxju2lcsorp0aioqzp3j
    Cookies LogonXP = RCEM005
    Cookies Service = TWATH
    Cookies FWK2015_SessionID = kaddnxju2lcsorp0aioqzp3j
    Cookies HQCodeE = 2
    Cookies SMTRYNO = 1
    Cookies Langue = F
    Cookies Service = TWATH
    Session KX.StockageContexte=KX.Noyau.Navigation.ContexteUtilisateur

• 5.  Re: CA Single Sign-On manage fail authentication responses

Posted Jun 11, 2018 02:27 PM

What is the name of the header ? is it HTTP_variablesession ? Remove the underscore and test.

You can have the header name like httpvariablesession and try and let me know.

• 6.  Re: CA Single Sign-On manage fail authentication responses

Posted Jun 11, 2018 02:59 PM

Hello GopiReddyIrala,

Yes, in this particular case I named it as "variablesession" (WebAgent-HTTP-Header-Variable , variablesession=test) where "test" is a static value (just for tests purposes).

while reading the headers variables, I dont call them by it's names .. I just loop throught the whole collection and then I print it's name and it's value.