CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?

• 1.  How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?

Posted Jun 07, 2018 02:43 AM

Hello!

Can anyone help me .I've to import Ms word file into my knowledge document of sdm. What is the procedure?

Regards,

Muhtashim Abdul Jabbar

• 2.  Re: How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 07, 2018 09:57 AM

The PDM_K_UTILITY is used to export/import content into the CA SDM Knowledge Base.

Please refer to the following documentation

How to Export/Import Knowledge Documents - CA Service Management - 17.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 3.  Re: How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 07, 2018 11:46 AM

Muhtashim, if you have the MS word file ready, you can manually create a tech doc and then attach the MS doc as attachment to the newly created doc. I can't recall currently we have some utility that can import/create tech doc using MS word files. Maybe you can submit an idea that CA provides some utility that can create a tech doc based on the external files(for example, MS word files). Thanks _Chi

• 4.  Re: How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?

Posted Jun 12, 2018 02:00 AM

Chi_Chen how to make tech doc. From tech doc do you mean data.xml and keit_config.xml file.

• 5.  Re: How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 12, 2018 10:59 AM

Muhtashim, what I mean was to manually create a tech doc using web interface and attach the WS word file as an attachment to the newly created tech doc. This should be fine if you have few ws files and if you are talking about thousand of ws files, then this will be too time consuming. Thanks _Chi

• 6.  Re: How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?

Posted Jun 20, 2018 07:51 AM

Chi_Chen I don't want to create a tech doc i want to import knowledge document in my servicedesk which have MS word file as an attachment.

• 7.  Re: How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 20, 2018 08:36 AM

Muhtashim 

If you want to import the Word document, you will need to follow the steps provided by Paul_Coccimiglio and jmayer to use the PDM_K_UTILITY 

Please refer to the following documentation

How to Export/Import Knowledge Documents - CA Service Management - 17.1 - CA Technologies Documentation

• 8.  Re: How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 20, 2018 08:43 AM

Muhtashim, yes, you would need to manually create a knowledge document and then attach the ms file as an attachment to the knowledge document. This works fine if you have a few ms files and is not feasible if you have thousand of ms files. Thanks _Chi

• 9.  Re: How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 11, 2018 10:45 AM

Muhtashim 

Do you have any additional questions regarding this topic?

If not, please mark one of the provided answers as Correct so that this thread can be closed.

• 10.  Re: How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?

Posted Jun 13, 2018 04:19 AM

If you would like to directly import vs. attach the MS Word doc to the KB articles, you will to first save your MS Word document as XML, then use an XLT to transform that XML to the format accepted  by the pdm utility (the tricky part be if your MS word contains images).

More easy to say that to do... but give the advantage to benefit of a better indexing vs.  the other proposed method.

My 2 cents

/J

• 11.  Re: How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 15, 2018 08:48 AM

Muhtashim 

Do you have any further questions on this topic?

If not, please mark one of the provided answers as correct so that this thread can be closed.

• 12.  Re: How to import Ms word file in knowledge document of sdm?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 21, 2018 03:58 PM

Muhtashim 

Do you have any additional questions regarding this topic?

If not, please mark one of the provided answers as Correct so that this thread can be closed.