I changed the LDAP server entries in EEM in our training environment because the old LDAP server is being retired.
After that I couldn't login to USS with any admin account.
I tried to change the portal-ext.properties to allow me to login with the casmadmin account and now the website won't come up. The services running but the logfile keeps showing that an account is locked.
This is the training system and not production and we are currently not using EEM in production but the plan is to implement Service Catalog and PAM soon in production. I am afraid this would happen again there so I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone.
I have an issue open with support but I left it at a priority 4 because it is not a production environment so I haven't heard from anyone yet.