Clarity

• 1.  Suggestion for Additional Resource Role

Posted Jun 11, 2018 08:35 AM

I would like to know if the community can share what Resource Role they have been using other than the one from the PMO Accelerator (Architect, Business Analyst, DBA, Developer, Network Engineer, Project Manager, Storage Architect, Test Engineer)

We are a financial institution and looking into expanding the roles to also include the "Business side" such as Finance, Project/Portfolio Management Office, Trainer, etc.

Thank you!!

• 2.  Re: Suggestion for Additional Resource Role

Posted Jun 11, 2018 09:59 AM

I think it depends on the Business that your organization is doing and how the roles are identified in your organization. So even if other users are sharing their roles, which are used in their PPMs, but I think you should be doing it based on your company. Else there might be a mismatch. There is no meaning of creating a Role if you do not have any resource who is performing that role in his/her day to day work. Hope I could explain. Let me know in case I have missed anything. 

• 3.  Re: Suggestion for Additional Resource Role

Posted Jun 11, 2018 10:06 AM

Thanks Abhisek, I am also looking for "best practice" and what other financial institutions are doing in this area.

• 4.  Re: Suggestion for Additional Resource Role

Posted Jun 15, 2018 10:45 AM

Generally the roles should reflect the role one would be assigned when working on a project, and not necessarily a job title.  For example a project manager may be a job title and a job role. My job title is Manager, PPM Support and Training, yet on a project I could be a Business Analyst, SME, Developer, trainer, etc.  It is recommend  to have an activity to work with your PM's and PMO's to identify project roles that you want to track.  Also look at the skills management features as they compliment resource management very well, and can reduce the number of roles you have significantly.

• 5.  Re: Suggestion for Additional Resource Role

Posted Jun 15, 2018 11:33 AM

There could be a use for a role, even if you don't have anyone doing that role today - I may need Role A, not having anyone that can do Role A, but I can still allocate Role A to investments, showing the demand and how many resources I need to fill Role A.

Agree with Abisek and Michael regarding recommendations on business and project driven roles - project roles often don't equal job titles.  Stick with project roles.

I've always been told "start with as few roles as possible - 10, 20 - you'll have a better chance of success."   I can tell you from experience, that starting with a couple hundred roles leads nowhere good and that in a global company, getting down to a few dozen roles is very difficult.  

Avoid requests to include skills and/or proficiency in roles (e.g. Project Manager-Software-Expert)  - put skills and proficiency into Skills object, or avoid altogether.  The proliferation of roles that this causes will kill capacity/demand management, portfolio management, ...  and, it may even get one into trouble in EU where making skills/proficiency readily visible to many users violates their privacy laws.

Project based roles, less than 20, no skills/proficiencies in role names - keep it simple - can add complexity, later, but only if needed.