AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Chris Knowles

Chris KnowlesJun 15, 2018 11:26 AM

Rajashekar Allala

Rajashekar AllalaJun 15, 2018 05:36 PM

• 1.  AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 15, 2018 11:13 AM

Hi All,

I am trying to enable default monitoring for all the disks at a time using the Admin Console. I am navigating to cdm/hostname/Disks and configuring the static threshold rules available using the Filesystem Type Filter and saving the configuration. 

In IM, when I open and check the configuration, I can see that, the disk partitions are having the check box enabled. However, the QOS and the thresholds which I configured in AC are not reflecting. And when I check the cdm.cfg file, the fixed_defaults is not set to active state automatically and also, the data for the disk partitions metrics also not showing in USM. I don't see Active option available in AC configuration. Is this a known issue?

What can be done to avoid this?

Thank you.

Rajashekar

• 2.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 15, 2018 11:26 AM

Which UIM and CDM versions are you running?

• 3.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 15, 2018 11:32 AM

• 4.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 15, 2018 12:01 PM

Also in general it is recommended to use either the Admin Console OR the IM console probe configure GUI but not both. They are not the same, many of the AC GUIs have options not in IM GUI, and may often cause problems using both.

• 5.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 15, 2018 12:26 PM

Hi David,

I am using 6.30 MC probe. I am not configuring the probe using both the option. I am trying with AC alone.

The problem is, it should activate default monitoring on all the disk partitions/mount points including the QOS data collection and enabling the default thresholds.

I tried using just 6.30 probe and I see the thresholds High and Low are enabled by default and only the QOS % is being collected. If I don;t touch the probe configuration in IM and try to configure the thresholds, it is not updating in the probe or probe config file.

Please check this scenario once.

Thank you.

Rajashekar

• 6.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 15, 2018 01:17 PM

Hi Chris,

UIM is 8.5.1 and CDM probe 6.30 MC.

Thank you.

Rajashekar

• 7.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 15, 2018 04:19 PM

Are you using MCS? So There is a CDM template in the group then into the Monitoring?

Maybe the MCS Template for Disk is replacing the cdm settings.

• 8.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 15, 2018 05:36 PM

I am using the Admin Console.

• 9.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 17, 2018 11:36 PM

Hi,

Have you enabled the thresholds and publish data on this menu

If you are not using MCS for cdm configuration you could delete the cdm 6.30-MC version of cdm probe  and deploy 6.30 cdm version from archive ( non mcs)  and then configure this from admin console and see if you can see correct results 

• 10.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 18, 2018 06:33 AM

I am not using the Disk Usage setting under a disk partition/mount point. If I go with that configuration, I need to configure thresholds at each Disk partition/Mount Point level. Which is a pain for me to follow this procedure on 2000+ servers.

I am using the Disk Usage Defaults as shown in the below screenshot which should enable default monitoring on all the available disks along with the new Disks added later to the configuration.

What is the best practice to apply the same set of rules (Static/dynamic) for CDM monitoring on multiple servers without configuring each disk partition/mount point? I don't see anything related to this in the documentation.

If I enable the default monitoring on a device using MCS (UMP/USM), it is enabling the data collection as well along with the thresholds configured for default monitoring. I can use this MCS profile on group. Whereas, the default configuration through Admin Console is not activating the configured thresholds and QOS data collection might be due to there is no option to activate it. This is a pain here.

I do not prefer MCS default monitoring as it is not having the option to configure dynamic thresholds. To configure dynamic thresholds even using MCS, I have to create a profile for each mount point/Disk Partition and apply to the group having the same mount point/Disk partitions names. Otherwise, the servers not having the partitions will generate alarm stating the disk is missing.

As per my understanding after following up in CA community, documentation and CA Support, I see the below challenges.

1. It is not possible to apply the monitoring rules/thresholds/profiles on all servers at a time unless and until if all the servers are having the same configuration (Disk partition/mount point names, number of CPUs and etc.)

2. No option to configure dynamic thresholds for all Disk partitions at a time.

3. No Time Over Threshold option for static thresholds.

4. Not sure, how intelligent UIM is to  auto apply the monitoring rules on newly added disk partitions/mount points.

5. Not sure, if UIM can handle the situation where the disk partition/mount points are renamed

I have lot of other basic monitoring features which are missing in UIM. This is more an admin pain to use this tool even though it is having the advanced monitoring features. Seems, it is still in development process to have the features that most of the monitoring tools have.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

Rajashekar

• 11.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 18, 2018 08:02 PM

Hi Rajashekar,

If you would like to configure similar configuration on many servers then suggest you follow the MCS option via USM 

I do not prefer MCS default monitoring as it is not having the option to configure dynamic thresholds. To configure dynamic thresholds even using MCS,

->Agree this is still work in progress  , but many features for MCS including dynamic thresolds are going to be enhanced in upcoming UIM 9.0 release 

https://docops.ca.com/uimp90beta/how-to-articles/configuring-alarm-thresholds-in-mcs 

• 12.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 19, 2018 05:50 AM

Great. Hoping to see common basic features in new release.

• 13.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 19, 2018 05:51 AM

Unable to access the above link. Getting the error.

403 - Forbidden

• 14.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 19, 2018 08:06 AM

Hi ,

Sorry looks like link is inaccessible for you as you might not have permissions to access this currently as UIM 9.0 is not GA yet 

Some additional information 

Disk defaults works on new disks only.

Kindly Note: “Disk_default” or “fixed_default” only applies on fresh discovered disks. If there are already discovered disks present in cfg, and you modifiy disk_defaults, there will be no configuration change for existing disks in probe cfg.
    In such case, delete existing discovered disks, so that probe can discover disks with new defaults.

Sharing below link on how generally customers uses fixed_default to monitor all drives.
    https://communities.ca.com/thread/241785212-monitor-all-windows-drives-by-default

Since “fixed_default” and “disk default” are generally for new discoveries(newly added disks), below link demonstrates to use MCS in such cases.
    UIM 8.4 MCS Default Disks - How to apply to all disks

https://communities.ca.com/thread/241750071

• 15.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 19, 2018 09:10 AM

Hmm.. Again this is a pain to delete and rediscover the disks to get the monitoring rules applied on more than 2000 servers.

In UIM 9.0, Do you know are the dynamic thresholds enabled at default_disks level or we need to enable at each disk level?

• 16.  Re: AC configuration of CDM probe not enabling the Disk Monitoring

Posted Jun 20, 2018 09:19 AM

Hi Rajashekar,

Have you recently upgraded your UIM set-up?

If upgraded, default disk issue was faced after upgrade?

If above are the cases, the you need to update MCS template to new version. Follow below link for MCS update to new template.

mon_config_service (Monitoring Configuration Service) Release Notes - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA T… 

Regards,

Vishnu Prasad