Rally Software

• 1.  Impact of creating stories within stories (nested stories)

Posted Jun 15, 2018 11:32 AM

I have been suggested that nested stories should not be created (stories within a story) and that stories should be kept at just one level below the lowest level of portfolio items. But I haven't come across any issues because of this in the standard apps and graphs so far. e.g. milestone cumulative flow diagrams. I can vouch for atleast this app, because I have tested this multiple times with various combinations of child stories and features at multiple levels just to be sure.

Is there anything that I'm missing- any page or report that gives incorrect data because of this? Is there any specific reason why we should stop creating child user stories? 

Regards,

Niveditha

• 2.  Re: Impact of creating stories within stories (nested stories)
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 15, 2018 03:34 PM

Hi Niveditha,

No, there isn't a reason you shouldn't create hierarchies of User Stories. They are designed for hierarchies and do and should work just fine. Clearly, if you come across any problem or concern then you're welcome to raise it but, generally speaking, User Stories are designed to work in hierarchies and you should certainly be able to use them in this way.

Thanks.

Sagi

• 3.  Re: Impact of creating stories within stories (nested stories)

Posted Jun 15, 2018 03:53 PM

Thank you very much Sagi! That is reassuring.

Is there any best process for handling hierarchies of stories at all? For e.g. only one team should own all the stories in a parent story or anything like that? 

I would really appreciate some knowledge there.

Regards,

Niveditha

• 4.  Re: Impact of creating stories within stories (nested stories)

Posted Jul 17, 2018 12:02 PM

The report "Print Story Cards" does not handle nested stories properly - it only prints the top level. Because our team prints out story cards for release planning, this is an issue for us.

Our team is going back to single level stories unless I (rapidly) find a way around this issue.

• 5.  Re: Impact of creating stories within stories (nested stories)

Posted Jul 17, 2018 02:46 PM

Thank you. This is the kind of information I was looking for. We don't use Print Story Cards, yet. But good to know this.