CA Service Management

• 1.  DB migration (MS SQL to Oracle)

Posted Jun 15, 2018 03:07 PM

Hi!

I want to now if is possible the migration of a data between MS SQL and Oracle, in a upgrade of SDM 14.1 to SDM 17.1

And if possible, what requirements are needed to achieve migration

SDM version 14 cum #4

SO W server 2012 R2

• 2.  Re: DB migration (MS SQL to Oracle)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 18, 2018 04:30 PM

varelafpy 

There is no out of box functionality that will migrate data between SQL and Oracle.

Has any other Community Member successfully migrated data between SQL and Oracle?

If not, CA Services would need to be involved to assist with this.

• 3.  Re: DB migration (MS SQL to Oracle)

Posted Jun 19, 2018 10:16 AM

varelafpy

I have not tried this and the link instructions seem to apply only to a limited number of MS SQL versions, but it may provide you with a start on the DB side of things:

SQL Server Migration

This still does not cover the SDM application side of a migration.  The general steps for promoting SDM between environments would be a good start:  (I would not try to run the actual utility.)

CA SDM Environment Promotion

J.W.

• 4.  Re: DB migration (MS SQL to Oracle)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 22, 2018 02:15 PM

varelafpy

To follow on what J.W. noted, we generally suggest only changing one aspect of the environment at a time. If you're planning on changing both the version of Service Desk Manager and your database architecture, I'd strongly recommend choosing one or the other and handing that change one item at a time. Trying to change out both the database and the product version could cause any number of issues, and there are just too many moving parts to reliably identify any issues you might encounter. An added benefit of doing this one step at a time is that you have a good place for backups / snapshots in between, which will help in case you find a need to roll back / restore in case of problems.

• 5.  Re: DB migration (MS SQL to Oracle)

Posted Jun 25, 2018 12:16 PM

Hi varelafpy ,

I've been using pdm_backup.

"If you consider to use SDM utilities, then the option is to use pdm_backup and pdm_restore commands. Tech document TEC471268 contains information about files and tables which are collected by pdm_backup command." By Naveen_Desham on Has anybody migrated an Oracle MDB to MS SQL Server? 

What does pdm_backup do? What is the difference be - CA Knowledge 

Regards

Tiago Macul