Rally Software

• 1.  Copy test steps

Posted Jun 15, 2018 05:10 PM

So, was away from Rally Quality for a while, when I came back the Test Case component had a lot of changes.  So here's my question.

I'm in a test case (in QDP on right), adding test steps in panel on left.  I have a step that gets repeated multiple times during the test.  For the life of me I cannot she where/how I can copy a previous step to a new step?  Am I missing something?  I can't imagine that this was missed.

• 2.  Re: Copy test steps

Posted Jun 18, 2018 04:12 AM

Kim,

I don't think you are missing anything.  Looks like there is not any ability to copy Test Steps.  Since this page is still in Beta, please click on the yellow bullhorn icon to provide feedback directly to the Product Owners.

As a work around, you may import Test Cases, Import and Export Data | CA Agile Central Help .

I hope that will help a little bit in the meantime.

Michael

• 3.  Re: Copy test steps

Posted Jun 18, 2018 05:47 PM

Unfortunately exporting and importing would be painfully cumbersome for a simple step.  If you're suggesting that I create all my test cases outside Rally, then import them, then sounds like Quality isn't ready for prime-time yet?  And when could I expect that?

• 4.  Re: Copy test steps

Posted Jun 19, 2018 07:44 AM

Kim,

As this functionality is currently not available, I was trying to provide a workaround for you.  If it will not work in your situation, I certainly understand.

You may provide this feedback directly to the Product Owners by clicking on the the yellow button with the bullhorn on it.  Work is continuing on these pages, so these types of issues or lack of functionality can be reported via that mechanism.

Michael

• 5.  Re: Copy test steps

Posted Jun 18, 2018 05:14 AM

Hi Kim,

The Quality tab still has the old way of working available – for the time being.

I and others in my organisation have missed it or lost it at times too, because it’s a rather anonymous-looking button.

You need to look at the little buttons on the upper right of some screens where you choose between:

• · the split rectangle ‘half-and-half’ button that tooltips as “Anchor to side”, meaning the QDP.
    • · the simple rectangle ‘full-screen’ button that tooltips as “Change to Full View”, meaning the EDP or original Edit Details Page.

BUT… that aside, I don’t know how Test Steps can be copied in either mode. (I confess it’s not something I’d use much.)

It’s conceivable to export, copy and re-import but I doubt that would ever be labour-saving!

Best,

–Nev.

EDIT:
    This was initially a reply direct to the email notification of the OP's query and didn't know Michael had already responded.
    I especially didn't mean my comment about the export and import approach to be taken as a comment on his comment!