Rally Software

• 1.  Capturing and Reporting Actuals

Posted Jun 18, 2018 03:21 PM

#Actuals

How do we track actuals in Rally? 

I've seen hooks for doing this within Rally at other companies, but there is no Actual field on the Rally system at my current company.

Thank you, in advance.

Mike

• 2.  Re: Capturing and Reporting Actuals
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 19, 2018 02:36 AM

Hi Michael,

The Actuals field is a field for Tasks, but it is hidden by default. It can be set to display by an administrator. To do this they would need to go to setup, and then select the Workspaces & Projects tab. From their locate the desired workspace and open its detail page. Select the Fields option from the list on the left and then choose Task as the type. Locate the Actuals field and edit it so that it is displayed. This help page contains more detailed information on how to edit fields if you are interested Create and Customize Fields | CA Agile Central Help 

• 3.  Re: Capturing and Reporting Actuals

Posted Jun 19, 2018 01:08 PM

Thank you.   That's what I thought.   I should have framed my inquiry a little differently.

I am not wanting the field to be visible so much as to know how it is computed.  I am familiar with the report that shows the estimates VS the actuals; however, I do not see how it can guess at the actuals without some form of input or timer toggling  functionality.

Do you know how the actuals are computed?

Thank you, again.

Mike

• 4.  Re: Capturing and Reporting Actuals

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 21, 2018 03:35 AM

Hi Michael,

Sorry that I didn't include this in my original response. The Actuals are manually entered by the user, generally when they update their task. There isn't a formula to track them automatically. So if an engineer spend 5 hours on a task they would need to manually enter it into the Actuals field. Then during a retrospective they could compare the Actual time spent to the estimate and if there was a difference they could explore why if needed.