DX NetOps

Expand all | Collapse all

Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

• 1.  Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Posted Jun 19, 2018 08:57 AM

I am trying to create a Pool report, but there is none coming out. Polling is working and enabled on DA.

• 2.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 22, 2018 02:16 PM

Hello Rizaldy,

Can you share a bit more info?

Do you see the data for the metrics from the individual elements?

Thanks,

Mike

• 3.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Posted Jun 25, 2018 04:03 AM

Hi Mike,

Yes, I can see the data from the metrics for individual devices. What I was trying to do is to check the traffic of pool members for individual F5. I saw in the metric family that part of it has Pool Connections - Pool Members, which you can check its traffic?

• 4.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 26, 2018 07:52 AM

Hi Rizaldy,

Did you create a monitoring profile with the following metric families to the collection with f5 devices

Regards,

Arvind Sugurr

• 5.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Posted Jun 26, 2018 09:45 AM

hi Arvind,

Yes, we have that added on our collections as well

• 6.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 26, 2018 03:02 PM

If the elements are discovered and polling but no data is observed, polling debug would be next.

https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/how-to-enable-polling-debug-for-a-device/kb000048644 

I'd first:

- Using the same DCDebug page check the polling configuration. If you don't see the component elements listed, try stop/start polling on the device.

- If you see the components listed (means they are being polled) in the polling configuration, enable poll logging for the ID for one of the specific component elements. After a few 5 minute poll cycles pass review the messages. Do we see errors? Bad values returned? Something else?

• 7.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Posted Jun 27, 2018 08:38 AM

Hi Arvind,

Thank you for the comment. I can get all the data when I do the debug.

Sample list of pool member that was gathered during debug:

This is what I want to achieved:

1. I want to have a dashboard for F5 VIP 

2. I want to have a dashboard for Pool members

Based on the dashboard context, we can have a pool connections dashboard and virtual (VIP) statistics

What I am getting is not pool connections activity, but F5 activity

Or I might misunderstood the F5 report context in CAPC.

• 8.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 27, 2018 09:18 AM

Rizaldy,

For the View chart with 'No Data Available', if you edit it how is it configured?

What Metric Family and Metrics are set to show data in the View?

Thanks,

Mike

• 9.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Posted Jun 27, 2018 09:25 AM

Hi Mike,

There is non to be edited

• 10.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 27, 2018 01:58 PM

I checked the query made for that chart and we see it performs the following:

Query: {SELECT .PollItem.DeviceID, .PollItem.ID, .PollItem.DevDisplayName, .Item.DisplayName, .Item.DisplayDescription, .CurrentConnections.Avg, .TotalConnections.Sum, .MaximumConnections.Avg FROM CA.IM.DA.MF.NormalizedPoolConnectionInfo.NRM_POOL_CONN WHERE .Group.GroupID =...

The Metric Family (Internal Name) NormalizedPoolConnectionInfo is what that chart is looking at for Metrics and data.

In this case it's looking for data for the element for the CurrentConnections.Avg, .TotalConnections.Sum, .MaximumConnections.Avg metrics.

The Display Name for that Metric Family is Pool Connections.

I see that listed in the Metric Families screen shot above.

When we go to the devices Data Aggregator Inventory view, and select the Polled Metric Families tab, then select the line for the Pool Connections metric family... Do we see active polled elements?

Do we see a poll config entry in dcdebug for the device that references that particular metric family? We'd see a line something like:
    Normalized Facet Type={http://im.ca.com/normalizer}NormalizedPollConnectionInfo

Does it contain the same elements from the Polled Metric Families tab in the UI?

• 11.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Posted Jun 28, 2018 09:14 AM

Hi Mike,

There might be an issue on the polling, Pool Connections metric family says 'Not Supported', but the Pool Connections - Pool Members is supported, might be the reason why when I do the dcdebug, I can get the pool members list, but not the connections itself?

• 12.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 28, 2018 10:22 AM

Hi Rizaldy,

Next step here would be examining the discovery messages (accessible via the dcdebug page) for the device to see what is wrong for that certifications support on the device.

The only Vendor Certification tied to the Pool Connections Metric Family out of the box is the "F5 BigIP Pool Connection" VC.

Examining that VCs XML code here: http://<DA_HOST>:8581/typecatalog/certifications/snmp/F5PoolConnection 

Looking for MIB OIDs required for support of that VC (per isKey = true entries) we see that the only required MIB OID for discovery to support that VC on this device is the Index OID. 

<Attribute name="Index" type="ObjectID">
    <Documentation/>
    <IsKey>true</IsKey>
    <IsIndex>true</IsIndex>
    <Source>1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.1.1.7.2.1.11</Source>
    </Attribute>
    If you select the Pool Connections Metric Family line in the Polled Metric Families tab and select the Update Metric Family button, it will run a fresh discovery attempt on that MF and its' VC for the device.
    When it's done go review the discovery messages from dcdebug for that device and look for that MIB OID and it's response. What does it show?
    Thanks,
    Mike

• 13.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Posted Jun 28, 2018 10:57 AM

Hi Mike,

this is the discovery log:

here is the VC XML before I update the Metric Family:

Here is the VC XML after I update the Metric Family:

• 14.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 28, 2018 11:07 AM

The XML won't change. It shouldn't.

That is a small part of the discover messages and looks like part of the discovery requests it builds. It should then show messages indicating it sent a request. We should then see messages indicating a response was received.

We're looking for that response from the device to the request for that OID.

• 15.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Posted Jun 28, 2018 11:13 AM

Hi Mike,

Ahhh.. yes, forgot the last part:

• 16.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 28, 2018 11:33 AM

There should be more logging after that 'supported OIDs..." line. Might need to refresh that page one more time to show the extra messaging.

If having issues generating/gathering that info might consider moving to opening a standard support case for more in-depth investigation.

• 17.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Posted Jul 02, 2018 08:47 AM

Hi Mike,

yes you are correct, there are still more results, and i can see those pool members on it. Its just I cannot paste or attached it here for security reasons, but yeah I can see those polled items and its pool members.

• 18.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 09, 2018 11:12 AM

Hi Rizaldy,

To help further it would be best to review the full output from the discovery messaging.

I was out last week, just back today and saw this update. If not done yet, if you'd like to continue this investigation, open up a new support case and attach that discovery logging output in full so we can review it to see if it shows a cause.

Thanks,

Mike

• 19.  Re: Has anyone have tried creating an F5 report?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 12, 2018 02:48 PM

Hi Rizaldy - given the amount of troubleshooting needed to resolve this I suggest opening a support ticket with CA Support to get the attention this issue needs.

Thanks,

Bob