DX NetOps

• 1.  Create new EventModels in  maint mode by default

Posted Jun 19, 2018 09:29 PM

Hello 

Running Spectrum 10.2

I use SBGW as a trap receiver to create Event Models - works perfectly

However

I've been asked that when a new Event Model is created it be created in Maint Mode and show Brown

I've tried the following

1: Using mte to set EventModel as ismanaged No   then saving back to catalog

- this creates the model in maint mode,

- when the SpectroServer is restarted all EventModels that were taken out of maint mode, go back into maint mode

2: using Attribute Editor to set ismanaged to no as default 

- on changing the attribute all existing Event Models change to maint mode (however their ICON remains green)
    - when new models are created thier icons also remain green. Also if the EventModel was created with an Alarm Trap (so the model is instantiated with an alarm against it) the Alarm still shows.
    The lack of change of colour and presentation of alarms is the issue for our users

Sooooo - community - any good thoughts on adding a simple process

If ModelClass = EventModel then on creation set to Maint Mode, changing icon and hiding alarms. Othewrwise standard processes follow

Trying to work out how to go across this with Policies
    Ideally I don't want existing models going into Maint Mode

Thanks
    *-

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Create new EventModels in  maint mode by default

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 20, 2018 07:27 AM

Hi Jason,

Try setting IsEventCreationEnabled 0x129f8 to No at model creation, while technically this is not Maintenance Mode, it will prevent events / alarms from being created.

Best regards,

Glenn

• 3.  Re: Create new EventModels in  maint mode by default
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 20, 2018 08:23 AM

Hi Jason, 

What if you create a watch on the event models to determine when they are new and put those into a GC that you can then use policy manager to enforce the "ismanaged" attribute to false:

How can I create a Spectrum Global Collection for - CA Knowledge 

HTH!

Jay

• 4.  Re: Create new EventModels in  maint mode by default

Posted Jun 20, 2018 08:37 PM

That’s genius  - though I do have one small issue trying to sort out

Created the watch – it works  - called it NewEventModel

Created the GC – called it NewEventGC  – it works – Real Time update looking for Event Models that have a NewEventModel value less than 300

Applied a policy which sets the model in the Global Collection  into maint mode – that works too

So when a new model is created it goes straight into that GC and enters maint mode

Additionally I have a GC which just stores all event models in maint mode (kind of double checker) – called ADMIN-MAINT – again real time – event models in maint only

The issue is – I need models to be automatically removed from NewEventGC after the 300 seconds

The only time it removes them is when the GC rule realizes the time has been exceeded – but that’s not happening automatically

So if I check a model and go to its attribute tab, and have NewEventModel as the attribute shown, the GC rule kicks in and removes it from NewEventGC

I assume that this is because the Watch was on demand

So to test this I created a second watch – this time using a polling interval

The behavior is the same using a polling interval or a evaluate on demand

The issue I have is I need to have an easy mechanism for operators to remove the models created from Maint Mode – at present they can’t as the Maint mode is set by a Policy based on GC membership

I had though about creating another GC to remove maint mode but then I go down a rabbit hole of needing to make sure devices that had intentionally been added to maint mode aren’t impacts

Thoughts anyone?

• 5.  Re: Create new EventModels in  maint mode by default

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 21, 2018 01:44 PM

Not that this is good for performance but instead of using real time updates on the GC (those can be performance impacting anyway) what if you set the “ADMIN-MAINT” GC to update every 5 or 10 minutes?  Just click on the “Global Collections” folder, on the right side select the List, select your GC, go to attributes and change DynamicUpdateInterval to 5

I’m not sure if it will work but I think it’s worth a shot…

• 6.  Re: Create new EventModels in  maint mode by default

Posted Jun 21, 2018 04:19 PM

I found an interesting option for a work around

If a seek is done on the attrid of the attribute then it checks, updates and refreshes the values resulting in all GC membership rules kicking in

So a cron of that every 10 would at least get the process kicking into play+

• 7.  Re: Create new EventModels in  maint mode by default

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 22, 2018 07:24 AM

That’ll work, good idea…and seek is very efficient, so that should be a good solution