Layer7 API Management

• 1.  How do I setup SSL for Gateway Management Client?

Posted Jun 20, 2018 11:11 AM

I want to use the gatewayManagementClient.sh script to manage a few things in our CA API Gateway (v9.2.0).  I have found the WS Management API page in the documentation and it provides some examples of using the ./gatewayManagementClient.sh script that makes use of the WS-Man interface (I followed the steps in Auto-Provisioning a Service to make it available).

But when I execute the script I get the following error:  Server TSL/SSL certificate not trusted.  This is whether I am doing this on a remote machine or the gateway machine itself. 

I can create a csr and a signed cert from it.  My two questions right now are:

1) How do I give the CA API Gateway the signed certificate so it knows to trust calls with the WS Management API?

2) When I use the gatewayManagementClient.sh how do I associate my signed certificate with it?

Is there some documentation I just haven't found that can help me through all this?

EDIT:  I was misunderstanding what was happening here:  The CLIENT is not trusting the cert from the server.  So the real question is, how do I add an exception or create a trusted cert store on the client machine?  In the meantime I just turned off verification of the server.

But now I just get a "Policy Falsified" error no matter what I send to the server (unless I take the server down...then I get connection refused, so my calls are at least getting to the server).  All I'm trying to do is make some non-invasive calls to learn how to use the client.  But even just asking it to enumerate types gives this error.  Is there some documentation or a lab or something to get you started?

• 2.  Re: How do I setup SSL for Gateway Management Client?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 21, 2018 12:08 PM

Good morning. From reviewing through your post, the first thing that popped up is that the gateway migration utility should be using the Restman service not the WS-Man so you will need to publish the correct internal service. As for the other components, this link will help associate an administrator user to the certificate (https://docops.ca.com/ca-api-gateway/9-3/en/gateway-migration/configure-gmu-and-gateways-for-migration#ConfigureGMUandGatewaysforMigration-MapMigrationAdministratorstoGMUClientCertificate -> Map Migration Administrators to GMU Client Certificate section) and then how to use the certificate in the GMU commands (https://docops.ca.com/ca-api-gateway/9-3/en/gateway-migration/prepare-for-migrations/determine-security-for-migrations#DetermineSecurityforMigrations-MutualAuthentication -> Mutual Authentication section).

For your update: The client side will need to have the certificate of the gateway or the trusted CA added to the JAVA truststore. Please review the Troubleshoot Migrations - CA API Gateway - 9.3 - CA Technologies Documentation section to review the error being seen.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 3.  Re: How do I setup SSL for Gateway Management Client?

Posted Jul 18, 2018 09:58 AM

I did get this working.  I am not trying to use the migration utility.  I'm trying to use the WS Management API.  I found two things:

1) You can just deploy the wsman and restman services from the Policy Manager through Tasks->Services and APIs->Publish Internal Service.  From there you can just publish both services.  You do need both for the gatewayManagementClient.sh tool to work.

2) I think when I was trying to load the services from the command line by following the instructions, I think I probably just had the permissions on the directory it tells you to create to be incorrect.  That's just a hunch, though.

But no matter...I have it working now.