Rally Software

• 1.  User Permissions

Posted Jun 21, 2018 02:45 PM

Is there anyway to prevent a user from modifying user stories/defects?   We have people outside the team (i.e. PMO's) who need edit access in order to tag stories but they are 'accidently' updating stories.  Is there any way to restrict that from happening?

• 2.  Re: User Permissions

Posted Jun 21, 2018 08:03 PM

Kathleen, that would be neat as we face similar problems. It'd be pretty cool if "outsiders" could just leave a discussion on a User Story/Defect and from there a team member could actually edit fields. I'd have to test if that's already available, but I do not believe so. 

• 3.  Re: User Permissions
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 22, 2018 06:31 AM

HI,

Unfortunately, its not possible. The permissions currently only allow View, Editor, and some different types of administrators. Anyone with Editor privileges would be able to make the changes, and Viewers wouldn't be able to tag the items. I'm sorry for any trouble that this is causing. 

• 4.  Re: User Permissions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 22, 2018 05:30 PM

Hi Kathleeq,

West is correct.

There isn't a granularity of the permission to allow a user to update only parts of an artifact or certain types of artifacts. Those who can edit user stories, can also edit defects etc.. 

Also, there is not a way to allow them to only edit tag or discussions or notes, but not other fields. 

Both these requirements to be quite worthy. My recommendation to you is to post it as a request for a future feature at our ideas site: https://ideas.rallydev.com (if you have no username, then please email to request it at: ac-ideas@ca.com)

As it currently stands you have two alternatives:

- Allow the 'outsiders' users to have Edit capabilities, taking into account they may edit more than intended.

- Make the 'outsiders' users be Viewers of the information and asking them to forward offline requests to a team member who is an editor that will perform the changes.

Sagi