Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Need clarification on creation of PEM file

Posted Jun 25, 2018 05:56 AM

Hi Team,

I have to create a certificate in Gateway via RESTMAN API. I created a PEM certificate on gateway server on LINUX machine. Now i opened the file and took the values between BEGIN CERTIFICATE and END CERTIFICATE.

By using the encode value of PEM file, i have successfully created the certificate in my gateway via RESTMAN API. My only query is : Do we need CA authority to sign the certificate or this default way is fine and secure enough. As i read online somewhere they created as it is , somewhere they use CA Authority and somewhere they created their own CA. Please guide me.

Thanks

Pratyush

• 2.  Re: Need clarification on creation of PEM file

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 26, 2018 03:00 PM

I would say it depends on what you are using the certificate for, ideally a certificate will be signed by a CA but on occasion you have leverage self signed certificates as well. Usually most organizations with have a internal CA that signs all their internal server certificates with a trusted root so that all the systems can trust each other.

The gateway can be configured to trust a individual certificate or establish trust based on chain to the trusted root.