Clarity

• 1.  Overall Risk Calculation

Posted Jun 27, 2018 01:54 PM

I am just wondering how the overall risk is calculated in PPM. I am using 13.3 and if I have two calculated risk on a project one being yellow and one being red. The overall risk on my reports are showing up grey. Under the properties tab when I select the risk rating option most all of my categories are showing up blank (or with the select option) except for the two categories in which I entered a risk for. It seems like the overall risk is calculated based on all the categories not just the ones I have a risk entered for. This doesn't seem right as I would think it would just calculate the overall risk bases on the two categories I entered risk against.

Hoping someone can explain to me how this works.

• 2.  Re: Overall Risk Calculation

Posted Jun 27, 2018 09:11 PM

Hi chrisflynn, the way the calculation works is not straight forward at first.

There are two levels of Risk Management for a project in CA PPM:

1. The qualitative risk scoring of a project at a "macro" level. This is always against the categories, and for v13.3 it is limited to ratings of "High", "Medium", "Low" (to my knowledge it is not until you upgrade to 15.4.1 that you are able to configure additional levels - but you would have to check the release notes). 

2. The detailed risk register for the project - where you register individual risks against a the project and categorise them appropriately. The risk categories always line up to the ones that appear on the Project => Properties => Risk Rating subpage.

You can do the qualitative scoring as highlighted in point 1 against a category only up to the point where an individual risk is registered (as in point 2) where at that point the scoring is informed from the bottom up of all the risks that are open against that category.

It means for you to user the overall score (which is calculated against all categories) you need to do a combination of level 1 and 2 for the calculated score to be effective and light up. Most companies have risk practices at various levels of maturity around level 2, but what I have seen previously is that level 1 is a foreign process for my previous companies - even though it is powerful.