DX NetOps

• 1.  Threshold event rule generated event after set duration but not clear in next poll

Posted Jun 28, 2018 03:16 AM

Dear Team,

We have CA PM version (3.5) installed on RHEL-6.9.

I want to create an event rule to generate and clear event after defined time and window period.

For example, If threshold violation breach for any matrix like CPU,Memory,Disk Partition utilization condition, I want to generate an event after 1 hour of threshold condition and want to clear in next poll(or after 5 min).

Above requirement is not possible as per CA PM design.

Please suggest for the same so that we can get desire out comes.

Please find my testing fpr thea same which was also verified by CA support team.

1) - Event raise after 5 min and also clear in 5 min tested ok (in Rule we have taken duration=5min and window=5min).

2) - Event raise after 15 min and also clear in 15 min tested ok (in Rule we have taken duration=15min and window=15min).

3) - Event raise after 5 min and clear in 20 min tested ok (in Rule we have taken duration=5min and window=20min).

4) - I want to generate an event after 20 min and want to clear after 5 min or next poll. This is not possible because we cannot change window=5 min if duration=20 min. (During rule creation unable to make window timing less then duration timing as per default application rule creation policy).

=================================

Also check CA support response for the same :

Q) I want to generate an event after 20 min and want to clear after 5 min or next poll.(Window=5 min & Duration=20 min). Is it Possible?

Ans) This scenario is not possible. Because in the Threshold event violation rule "the Windows time should be more than or equal to Duration time. It cannot be lessthan that". I.e., Windows >= Duration Time Ex: Duration=5min & Window=5min RIGHT Duration=20min & Window=25min RIGHT Duration=20min & Window=5min WRONG If you want, you can raise an Enhancement Request or Idea for this specific scenario in Communities Ideas portal.

Thank you.

Regards,

Ajay Soni

• 2.  Re: Threshold event rule generated event after set duration but not clear in next poll

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 28, 2018 04:29 PM

Ajay,

What is the use case for a configuration like that for Events?

What is the goal that the Events raised by such a rule would achieve?

This sounds like an Enhancement Request to have not just a Window within a Duration to evaluate the raising of the Event when the Threshold is violated, but also one the other direction. One that allows setting a Window and Duration for the data to meet Clear Threshold criteria.

I don't see how a Duration can be set to exceed the defined Window of data evaluation to determine threshold violations.

If the Duration is larger than the Window of time to review the data in, the evaluation wouldn't be able to take into account all data points during the Duration because parts of it would be outside the defined Window.

Thanks,

Michael

• 3.  Re: Threshold event rule generated event after set duration but not clear in next poll

Posted Jun 29, 2018 02:29 AM

Hi Michael,

Please find my response in bold. 

What is the use case for a configuration like that for Events?

I have created one rule for generating an event after 20 min of violation and want to clear this event after 5 min if violation rule not matched. 

Also find out below test cases for the same:-

1) - Event raise after 5 min and also clear in 5 min tested ok (in Rule we have taken duration=5min and window=5min).

2) - Event raise after 15 min and also clear in 15 min tested ok (in Rule we have taken duration=15min and window=15min).

3) - Event raise after 5 min and clear in 20 min tested ok (in Rule we have taken duration=5min and window=20min).

4) - I want to generate an event after 20 min and want to clear after 5 min or next poll. This is not possible because we cannot change window=5 min if duration=20 min. (During rule creation unable to make window timing less then duration timing as per default application rule creation policy).

What is the goal that the Events raised by such a rule would achieve?

My question is as simple as like that, I want to generate an event after 20 min and want to clear it after 5 min when ever condition matched for threshold policy rules.

This sounds like an Enhancement Request to have not just a Window within a Duration to evaluate the raising of the Event when the Threshold is violated, but also one the other direction. One that allows setting a Window and Duration for the data to meet Clear Threshold criteria.

I don't see how a Duration can be set to exceed the defined Window of data evaluation to determine threshold violations.

If the Duration is larger than the Window of time to review the data in, the evaluation wouldn't be able to take into account all data points during the Duration because parts of it would be outside the defined Window.

For CA PM rule making ,We can only set window timing =>duration timing in not less than duration timing.

Regards,

Ajay Soni

• 4.  Re: Threshold event rule generated event after set duration but not clear in next poll

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 12, 2018 02:51 PM

Hi Ajay - this is a fairly complex issue - please open a support ticket to get focused assistance on this from the support team.

Thanks,

Bob