AutoSys Workload Automation

• 1.  CA Workload automation Desktop complete jobs

Posted Jul 05, 2018 09:39 AM

Hi

CA Workload automation Desktop.

I just created an incident at my work....

The daily application scheduled itself at 3 pm as planned. I had to put a group of the jobs in that schedule on hold until we got the go-ahead from business to release the jobs. There were 7 jobs in total and this was done by dragging the mouse over the group which highlighted all the jobs - right mouse click and used the hold option while on the monitor tab.

All the jobs went into the hold status as expected.

We did not receive the go-ahead from business to run the jobs that night.

This morning, I again used the mouse to highlight all the jobs, right mouse click and used the option to Complete the 7 jobs....

Jobs are numbered 1 - 7 and every job has a dependency on the previous job. E.G. 4 is dependent on 3

But i it looks like some of the jobs started to run while it was completing the jobs. They ran out of  sequence

It shows a "state" of Complete, "submission count" of 0, "Conditions" Forced, No "start time", "end tine" is when I did the action.

All the jobs have a submission count of 0.

Looks like the one that caused the chaos have a "conditions" of Forced.

QUESTION : Can one not use the Complete action on multiple jobs where there are dependencies between the jobs?

• 2.  Re: CA Workload automation Desktop complete jobs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 05, 2018 09:58 AM

Hi Kenza,

Since you selected manually all the jobs of the related chain, and issued manually the complete command on all of them, maybe the server has processed the command for some jobs first, then others after. We are talking about milliseconds, and this can be the reason of the problem.

Also, since all the jobs has a dependency between them, this contributed to the behavior you have observed.

Maybe a good approach to avoid this problem should be issuing the complete command for each job separately, starting form Job7, then Job6, until Job1.

• 3.  Re: CA Workload automation Desktop complete jobs

Posted Jul 05, 2018 11:02 AM

We have noticed this same behavior with DE and our 2 previous job schedules.  We got in the practice of holding the application, force complete the jobs and release the application.

Sharon

• 4.  Re: CA Workload automation Desktop complete jobs

Posted Jul 06, 2018 02:40 PM

We have been caught by this as well.  We usually just complete jobs in the reverse order as was mentioned in the first reply, or you can select them all and issue a BYPASS command first, then issue the FORCE COMPLETE command.

• 5.  Re: CA Workload automation Desktop complete jobs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 09, 2018 08:39 AM

Hi,

When you force complete predecessor job, the dependent job will run based on the way you have setup your application.  If you don't want predecessor to run, then force complete them first.

Alternatively, you can force complete the whole application if all the jobs need to be force completed or don't need to run.

Thank you,

Nitin Pande

CA Technologies