Rally Software

• 1.  Query question: test cases with no defects

Posted Jul 06, 2018 07:51 AM

I had created a query (custom list, type: test case) in order to receive an overview of failed test cases where no defect is assigned.

((LastVerdict = "Fail") AND (Defects.ObjectID = null ))

This basically works.

Now I would like to extend the query:

The description of all available defects shall be parsed against the TC ID (e.g. TC1234) which was found in the query stated above.

Reason: not all defects are assigned to the corresponding TC, but often the relevant TC ID is enlisted in the description

Any suggestions?

• 2.  Re: Query question: test cases with no defects

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2018 11:39 AM

Hi Stark,

My apologies but I'm uncertain I understand you're question.

What list are you expecting to receive in the Custom List app?

So far you are getting the Test Cases that failed and which are associated with defects. That seems to work.

It seems like you're asking to narrow this list down, which of these returned test cases would you like to get (or filter out)?

I'll appreciate your clarification.

Sagi

• 3.  Re: Query question: test cases with no defects

Posted Jul 09, 2018 07:34 AM

Hello Sagi,

currently I am getting the Test Cases that failed and which are not associated with defects.

Yes, I would like to narrow the list by removing the TestCases which are enlisted in the description of Defects.

(The description contains the TC ID: e.g. TC1234)

Regards

Sebastian

• 4.  Re: Query question: test cases with no defects
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 09, 2018 03:49 PM

Hi Stark,

Thanks for clarifying.

I'm not sure if can be done. Currently the issue is that your main object is Test Cases but your narrow down is a filter on Defects (cause you need to filter out defects with certain descriptions).

I don't know that you can make such a 'join' of two main objects.

Yet, let me be more certain I still get what you're trying to find out here:

Your Defects include their Test Case IDs in their Description field, i.c: TC1111, TC1112, TC1113 . Your query returns the failing test cases un-associated to defects. So, are you suggesting that if a Test Case ID is in a Defect's description field then it should be treated 'as if' it's associated to that defect and hence filtered out?

Sagi

• 5.  Re: Query question: test cases with no defects

Posted Jul 11, 2018 05:09 AM

SAGI GABAY schrieb:

So, are you suggesting that if a Test Case ID is in a Defect's description field then it should be treated 'as if' it's associated to that defect and hence filtered out?

yes, that is basically it.

One issue is, that only one single test case can be assigned to a defect. But defect creators often find defects which are noticable in several test cases.