Symantec Access Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Disable JBOSS/Wildfly Scheduled Deployment Scanner  -  I/O performance improvement

• 1.  Disable JBOSS/Wildfly Scheduled Deployment Scanner  -  I/O performance improvement

Posted Jul 06, 2018 01:32 PM

Team,

Bring this tip back to top for review.   

- Prior notes captured this tip within other performance notes:  Performance Notes for CA Identity Manager (IM) 

Default installation of JBOSS 6.x+ / Wildfly 8.x+ may leverage a deployment scanner of 5 seconds (5000 millisecond), that will constantly scan for any changes of updated/new jar files.  

However, for CA solutions, any changes will be deployed and the process will likely request that the J2EE server is to be restarted.    I am not aware of any dynamic changes required by CA Solutions, that would leverage this dynamic scan feature by the J2EE tier.

Therefore, we can gain I/O performance for the JBOSS/Wildfly solution, by change the default value of scan-interval to a value less than 1.

See notes from JBOSS using the jboss-cli.sh/bat  --gui

Useful Wildfly/JBOSS CLI Monitoring Scripts 

Example(s) to change this value:

Using the jboss-cli.sh console

/subsystem=deployment-scanner/scanner=default/:write-attribute(name=scan-interval,value=-1)

Running via CLI with no userID/password.

./jboss-cli.sh --connect  --command="/subsystem=deployment-scanner/scanner=default/:write-attribute(name=scan-interval,value=-1)

Running via CLI with userID and Password (assumed this was pre setup)

/opt/CA/wildfly-idm/bin/jboss-cli.sh --connect --user=jboss-admin --password=Password01!  --command="/subsystem=deployment-scanner/scanner=default/:write-attribute(name=scan-interval,value=-1)"

Viewing the attribute's value before/after with CLI process

/opt/CA/wildfly-idm/bin/jboss-cli.sh --connect --user=jboss-admin --password=Password01!  --command="/subsystem=deployment-scanner/scanner=default/:read-attribute(name=scan-interval)"

Afterwards, restart your J2EE server, and validate if there is a performance gain with startup time, and run&operate times.

Cheers,

Alan

• 2.  Re: Disable JBOSS/Wildfly Scheduled Deployment Scanner  -  I/O performance improvement

Posted Jul 26, 2018 03:48 PM

JBOSS/Wildfly Deployment Error due to timeout.   JBAS015052

If you see the following error message in the iam_im.ear.failed file, this may be due to a longer deployment than the default of 10 minutes (600 seconds) used by the built-in deployment scanner.

To address, change two (2) values:

/subsystem=deployment-scanner/scanner=default/:write-attribute(name=deployment-timeout,value=1800)

/subsystem=deployment-scanner/scanner=default/:write-attribute(name=scan-interval,value=-1)

Final State: