Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets.

• 1.  Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets.

Posted Jul 11, 2018 06:49 AM

Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets. 

• 2.  Re: Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets.
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 11, 2018 08:55 AM

Zaheer,

There is an Excel Add-in that can be used to extract data from Agile Central.  Information here:

CA Agile Central Add-in for Excel Installation & User Guide | CA Agile Central Help 

If you are able to, you can certainly use the Web Services API to connect and get information from Agile Central.  I know nothing about doing that from within Excel, but here are some links that have information about the Web Services API.

https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/doc/webservice/ 

For Developers | CA Agile Central Help 

You may also want to consider the DB Connector.  While it can be used to extract information from Agile Central and put it into a database, the interim step is to create .csv files.

CA Agile Central Database Connector | CA Agile Central Help 

Hope that helps.

Michael

• 3.  Re: Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets.

Posted Jul 11, 2018 10:15 AM

Hi Mic , First of all thanks for expedite reply .

I am more concern about Excel Macro Code .   For example to connect QC we have code like this below 

Sub ConnectToQualityCenter()Dim qcURL As StringDim qcID As StringDim qcPWD As StringDim qcDomain As StringDim qcProject As StringDim tdConnection As ObjectOn Error GoTo err    qcURL = <QC URL> 'Example : https://<server url>/qcbin   qcID = <your User ID>   qcPWD = <Your password>   qcDomain = <Domain Name>   qcProject = <Project Name>'Display a message in Status bar   Application.StatusBar = "Connecting to Quality Center.. Wait..."' Create a Connection object to connect to Quality Center   Set tdConnection = CreateObject("TDApiOle80.TDConnection")'Initialise the Quality center connection   tdConnection.InitConnectionEx qcURL'Authenticating with username and password   tdConnection.Login qcID, qcPWD'connecting to the domain and project   tdConnection.Connect qcDomain, qcProject'On successfull login display message in Status bar   Application.StatusBar = "........QC Connection is done Successfully"   Exit Suberr:'Display the error message in Status barApplication.StatusBar = err.DescriptionEnd Sub

I Just want to know is there any way to connect by excel macro and get raw data ???   

• 4.  Re: Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets.

Posted Jul 11, 2018 10:17 AM

Sub ConnectToQualityCenter()

Dim qcURL As String
    Dim qcID As String
    Dim qcPWD As String
    Dim qcDomain As String
    Dim qcProject As String
    Dim tdConnection As Object

On Error GoTo err
    qcURL = <QC URL> 'Example : https://<server url>/qcbin
    qcID = <your User ID>
    qcPWD = <Your password>
    qcDomain = <Domain Name>
    qcProject = <Project Name>
    'Display a message in Status bar
    Application.StatusBar = "Connecting to Quality Center.. Wait..."
    ' Create a Connection object to connect to Quality Center
    Set tdConnection = CreateObject("TDApiOle80.TDConnection")
    'Initialise the Quality center connection
    tdConnection.InitConnectionEx qcURL
    'Authenticating with username and password
    tdConnection.Login qcID, qcPWD
    'connecting to the domain and project
    tdConnection.Connect qcDomain, qcProject
    'On successfull login display message in Status bar
    Application.StatusBar = "........QC Connection is done Successfully"
    Exit Sub
    err:
    'Display the error message in Status bar
    Application.StatusBar = err.Description
    End Sub

• 5.  Re: Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 11, 2018 10:30 AM

Hi Zaheer,

No. Unfortunately there isn't a way. I have discussed it at length with Engineering.

This COM Add-in was not developed in a way that exposes its methods to be used in VBA and hence can not be used in Macros.

One way I thought of trying to bypass it before was to call the actual Excel Ribbon's object and try to invoke the Excel's query from there by mimicking the button clicks, but I was unable to find a way to do that either. If you'd like to try that way perhaps you will find a way.

I do know with certainty that you can't use the Excel add-in in VBA scripts.

Sagi

• 6.  Re: Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets.

Posted Jul 11, 2018 10:52 AM

Sagi_Gabay   This is toooooo Sad.    CA Company should think once again about this and give the permission to excel macro to connect .       

• 7.  Re: Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 11, 2018 11:01 AM

Hi Zaheer,

Yes, it's a little unfortunate. I'm not sure why the COM add-in was not developed in a way that will expose its functionality to VBA, but I can tell you there isn't much 'demand' for it , in other words: not so many customers/users ask about it or seem to need it.

Normally I'll suggest you post this request for a future feature enhancement to our ideas site (https://ideas.rallydev.com) but currently CA is already working on a new version of this add-in to replace the current version. My understanding is that it may become available for beta soon. Posting ideas for features for this current technology of the add in will almost certainly not be addressed.

You may want to spend some time and see if you can find a way to invoke the Ribbon's object function. As said, I couldn't find such a way, but it may still be possible.

My apologies I can't help more.

Sagi

• 8.  Re: Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets.

Posted Jul 11, 2018 11:01 AM

Sagi_Gabay   CA Company should be friendly like "google" not like "NOKIA (Earlier One)"   .    

• 9.  Re: Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 11, 2018 12:00 PM

Zaheer,

Can you please clarify for us:

Are you asking about how to use our Excel add-in (that's the CA plug into Excel which has a Tab and some import/export buttons and you need to install it separately), are you asking about how to invoke the functions of this add-in from VB or a Macro?

OR

Are you asking about how to invoke some queries into Agile Central from VB or Macro regardless of the Excel add-in (as if it isn't installed)?

Thanks.

Sagi

• 10.  Re: Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets.

Posted Jul 12, 2018 03:34 AM

Sagi_Gabay   This is what i am asking "how to invoke the functions of this add-in from VB or a Macro?"

• 11.  Re: Hello Support Team,  I Am Using Rally. My Task Is To Generate Report Using Excel Macro.  I Want Excel Macro API Which Connects To Rally And Get All Raw Data Downloaded Into Excel Sheets.

Posted Jul 12, 2018 08:34 AM

I attempted the same scenario during automation of reporting... bottom line, even with some fancy button clicking macros, it isn't possible. My suggestion would be to bite the bullet, take the data base connector for postgres, develop a script to run downloads on some regular interval and build your excel workbook over the top of that... this way, every time your workbook is opened, it can/will refresh your data. I used Tableau to create a dashboard over the top of the separate CSV Files, published that and anyone can look at data that is never any older than 1 hour... the best part, it is 100% Automated!

Requirements: 

1) CA Agile Central Postgres Db Connector CA Agile Central Database Connector (Postgres) | CA Agile Central Help 

the links to Python are included on the page above... this isn't so difficult, if I can do it, pretty much anyone can.

Best of Luck!

Ernie