Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Difference b/w RA SOAP agent and RA core agent

Posted Jul 13, 2018 10:02 AM

Hi All,

Can anyone please tell me the difference between RA Webservice Soap agent and RA core agent? Can we use RA core agents for SOAP jobs?

Thanks,

Srujan.

• 2.  Re: Difference b/w RA SOAP agent and RA core agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 13, 2018 11:55 AM

Hi Srujan!

I would definitely recommend searching through our knowledge base for a lot of this type of information. I have attached one of our knowledge articles that goes into detail about the difference between the RA "core" and the RA "solution". The core is the same across all RA agents and is installed on the computer where the agent will reside. The solution is uploaded to the database to provide a specific RA agent to the core (RA Web services, RA FTP, etc..). Hope this helps!

RA Agent - step-by-step installation guide - CA Knowledge 

Thank you,

Andrew Garland

• 3.  Re: Difference b/w RA SOAP agent and RA core agent

Posted Jul 16, 2018 04:29 AM

People often refer to the various Rapid Automation (RA) solutions as agents, but this way of speaking can be misleading. Although one does define different types of RA agent in the AE, there actually is only one RA agent program: the RA Core Agent, ucxjcitx. RA solutions. like RA Informatica (PowerCenter), RA FTP and RA Web Services REST run on top of the RA Core, and the same core is used for all RA solutions.

RA solutions are installed by loading them in the Automation Engine database using the ucybdbld program. Once an RA solution has been loaded in to the DB, you can define and configure a new agent that uses that solution. Once it is set up correctly (as garan18 described above), it works like this:

1. The RA core starts up and reads its INI file.
    2. The RA connects to the Automation Engine and identifies itself by name.
    3. The AE looks up the details of that Agent from its DB, including the type of RA solution that this agent uses, and the agent’s configuration settings.
    4. The AE loads the appropriate RA solution file (a JAR file) from the AE DB and sends it to the RA Agent, along with the configuration settings.
    5. The RA agent places the solution file in a temporary location.
    6. The RA agent starts the solution using the configuration details loaded from the agent definition.

Communication between the RA solution and the Automation Engine is passed via the RA Core.

Andrew, please correct me if I got any of the specifics wrong.

• 4.  Re: Difference b/w RA SOAP agent and RA core agent

Posted Jul 16, 2018 04:56 AM

Note that it is possible to install only one version of a particular RA solution in the AE DB. Loading a new version overwrites any previously installed version of that solution. Because of this, it is not possible to simultaneously run multiple different versions of the same RA solution in a given AE system. I submitted an enhancement request asking that the limitation be removed:

Allow multiple versions of the same RA solution.