DX NetOps

• 1.  CAPC 'WAN' interface type (ifType) counterpart in metrics?

Posted Jul 18, 2018 03:10 PM

I have a device that shows the 'ifType' as WAN in CAPC Inventory > Interfaces.

It does not appear as if the interface is collecting data.

So, I go to Administration > Monitored Items Mangement > Monitoring Profiles, and attempt to add the interface to my Network Interface profile.

The 'value' pull down list does NOT contain 'WAN' for the 'Type' attribute.

So, what is the correct attribute / value for a 'WAN' interface?

This is CAPM version 3.6.

Any ideas appreciated, before submitting a case.

Thanks,

Jim

• 2.  Re: CAPC 'WAN' interface type (ifType) counterpart in metrics?

Posted Jul 18, 2018 03:52 PM

Good afternoon friend !

In "Monitored Devices" verify that the equipment is configured to obtain the interface metric.

If it does not, configure the device in a "Monitoring Profiles" and enable the interface collection metric.

• 3.  Re: CAPC 'WAN' interface type (ifType) counterpart in metrics?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2018 03:58 PM

Jim,

Is your Performance Management system integrated with Spectrum?  If so, can you find the parent device of the interface in question if you go to the below in CAPC?

1. Administration -> Monitored devices
    2. Search tab
    3. In the bottom, search for the ip address of the parent device in question.

Troy

• 4.  Re: CAPC 'WAN' interface type (ifType) counterpart in metrics?

Posted Jul 19, 2018 08:47 AM

Thanks, both of you.  Yes, device is in Spectrum.  And I am collecting for 'tunnel' interfaces.  In Spectrum, the desired interface (Tu10) is a type of 'tunnel'.  In CAPM, the type (ifType) of interface is 'WAN'.

In the polled metric families for the device, under Interface, it shows 'Filtered' and 'Not Polled'.

So, I try to add/update the Filter expression in the Monitoring Profile; attempting to add ifType of WAN.

It is not one of the available selections in the pulldown box.

So, the question still remains, what is the correct (counterpart) attribute / value to add for polling the interface with type 'WAN'?  Would it be one of the 'wwan' options, or something else?

Replies and assistance appreciated.  Thanks again.

Jim

• 5.  Re: CAPC 'WAN' interface type (ifType) counterpart in metrics?

Posted Jul 19, 2018 10:34 AM

Good Morning!

If in "Monitored Devices" the interface is "Filtered" you must have created some filter so that the data in the interface is not collected.

Check if there is any filter for the monitoring profile that your device is in!

In this case, the filter was created not to collect interface data in the status that is described in the filter.

I believe that to solve your case it would be ideal to perform Filter by Alias or Description of the interface.

• 6.  Re: CAPC 'WAN' interface type (ifType) counterpart in metrics?

Posted Jul 20, 2018 11:29 AM

Robsonbadam, thanks for the suggestion.  In this case, since the 'WAN' ifType is not an attribute/value available to select, and add to the Monitoring Profile for 'Interfaces' (those wwanPP are Cellular related); I simply decided to collect all 'Tunnels', whether 'tunnel' (131) or 'WAN'.  I updated the Interface monitoring profile to include Interface Name starts with 'Tu'.

I am now collecting metrics for the desired 'WAN' tunnel / interface.  It would have been nice to specify ifType, but at least other options are possible.

Thanks.  Learned something new.

Jim

• 7.  Re: CAPC 'WAN' interface type (ifType) counterpart in metrics?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 20, 2018 02:21 AM

probably. The value options in the drop down

are consistent with what you can find in https://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaiftype-mib/ianaiftype-mib  searching for "WAN":