IT Process Automation

• 1.  Hello! I needed to know if there is a way to combine different capabilities of in-built operators into one custom operator.

Posted Jul 24, 2018 10:00 AM

For example - Using a SOAP operator and REST operator in one custom operator.

EDIT: For clarity, posting a well formated question...

So the basic idea is to provide a 'generic' way to handle things while switching over from one tool (which uses, say SOAP) to another tool (which uses, REST).

Consider the following scenario :-

There are a few ITPAM workflows integrated with an ITSM tool which uses the ITPAM operator 'Invoke SOAP Method'. After some period of time, this ITSM tool is now being replaced with a different one, one which uses REST methods instead of SOAP, so the compatible operators would now be HTTP operators (HTTP GET/HTTP POST/etc.) instead of the old Invoke SOAP method operator.

As a workflow designer, my only option left is to manually remove all the old operators, replace them with the new HTTPS operators, one by one. But, my current aim is to create a more 'dynamic' way to handle different integrations for future-proofing. 

Now here comes, my concept of a 'dynamic custom operator'. An operator which needs not be written in any scripting language, but instead uses a custom decision (to check which kind of web service it is) and then leverages the in-built custom operators of ITPAM. 

Would this be possible? 

• 2.  Re: Hello! I needed to know if there is a way to combine different capabilities of in-built operators into one custom operator.

Posted Jul 24, 2018 10:29 AM

Sanjeev,

Can you explain your question in a little greater detail?

SOAP and REST are two different formats of web services that you interact with in significantly different ways, so it's difficult to combine them in the same operator in a UI driven context like PAM. (It would be much easier if you were coding in a IDE outside PAM.) Within PAM the only option that comes to my mind is a run script operator using one of the scripting languages it supports. The cost of getting an approach like that to work would likely out way the benefit of using a single operator in PAM versus the over head of using the two different types of operators already supplied for those operations.

Elwynn. 

• 3.  Re: Hello! I needed to know if there is a way to combine different capabilities of in-built operators into one custom operator.

Posted Jul 24, 2018 10:53 AM

Hi Elwynn!

So the basic idea is to provide a 'generic' way to handle things while switching over from one tool (which uses, say SOAP) to another tool (which uses, REST).

Consider the following scenario :-

There are a few ITPAM workflows integrated with an ITSM tool which uses the ITPAM operator 'Invoke SOAP Method'. After some period of time, this ITSM tool is now being replaced with a different one, one which uses REST methods instead of SOAP, so the compatible operators would now be HTTP operators (HTTP GET/HTTP POST/etc.) instead of the old Invoke SOAP method operator.

As a workflow designer, my only option left is to manually remove all the old operators, replace them with the new HTTPS operators, one by one. But, my current aim is to create a more 'dynamic' way to handle different integrations for future-proofing. 

Now here comes, me and my organizations concept of a 'dynamic custom operator'. An operator which needs not be written in any scripting language, but instead uses a custom decision (to check which kind of web service it is) and then leverages the in-built custom operators of ITPAM. 

Would this be possible? 

Thanks.

• 4.  Re: Hello! I needed to know if there is a way to combine different capabilities of in-built operators into one custom operator.
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 24, 2018 10:46 AM

Hi Sanjeev,

Custom operators are based off existing existing operators in Process Automation.  You are not able to select the functionality of multiple operators to create one custom operator. 

In this case a SOAP and REST custom operator.  As Elwynn said, they are two different formats of web services that work differently.  They would need to be two separate operators.  As Elwynn mentioned, you may be able to build a custom script outside of Proc Auto and have it called by the run script operator.

As far as out of the box functionality, this would be considered an enhancement.  Please feel free to open an idea request on the community page.

CA Process Automation: How can I open an enhancement request for the product?

Document ID : KB000044969

CA Process Automation: How can I open an enhancement request for the product