Symantec Access Management

• 1.  CA Directory Migration to another Directory on the same server possible ?

Posted Jul 25, 2018 08:54 AM

CA team ,

Need your assistance to check a requirement whether it is possible to Migrate a fully functional CA Directory service running on a dedicated drive e.g. /opt to get migrated to any other drive on the same VM ?

• 2.  Re: CA Directory Migration to another Directory on the same server possible ?

Posted Jul 25, 2018 04:34 PM

Sushree

There are different ways we could move the data between two parallel running DSA's. But I guess that is not what you are after.

It seems your ask is to move the entire DSA folder from /opt to a different directory on the same VM.

Just by thinking about it, I think the answer is "YES". I have not tested this, but you can surely test this in a lower non prod / demo env. Things to keep in mind...

• My YES is primarily based on Manual File based approach. If you are using the UI based approach, then my YES becomes questionable and may be irrelevant too.
    • The only one file I'd make sure to modify after the move is dxprofile.sh and the .bash_profile which loads the dxprofile.sh. Everything else is relatively sourced within the *.dxi / *.dxc / *.dxg files. I do not remember seeing hard coded absolute paths.
    • Before I move, I'd shut down the services using "dxserver stop all" & then start'em after the move / modify / sourcing of ENV file is done "dxserver start all".
    • Before I move, I'd also shut down the dxagent running on the box using "dxagent stop". Then start'em after the move / modify / sourcing of ENV file is done "dxagent start".

May I also ask is your requirement to keep the DSA fully functional during the move / migrate ? In that case you'd fall in the bracket of running two DSA's in parallel. DSA-1 under /opt with the fully loaded data. You'll setup a new OS User (Why a new OS User, because you'll be spinning up a new dxagent + dxserver) and install / configure new DSA-2 in a different path on the same VM. Then using one of the different approach of copying data across DSA's, you'd copy the data. Then start DSA-2 as fully functional.

• 3.  Re: CA Directory Migration to another Directory on the same server possible ?

Posted Jul 26, 2018 12:37 AM

Thanks Denish for your response , the objective here is not to break the

DSA functionality after the Directory structure migration . So following

the approach to stop the agent and dsa before stepping into the Movement is

quite a good idea .

Another question could be raised here - in case of two Directory server

infra , if one VM is undergoing this DS Directory movement activity will

that impact the 2nd Directory server which has all the same DSAs available

and running in state .

What would be the extra caution to be maintained at the 2nd Directory

server ?

Regards,