Clarity

• 1.  Column width

Posted Jul 26, 2018 12:02 AM

Hi,

Somebody can tell me how can I do to make wider a column  table ?

I was trying using width attribute in List Column section but it didn´t work.

Thanks in advance,

Cira

• 2.  Re: Column width

Posted Jul 26, 2018 01:23 AM

If you are referring to the column width in a list view or in a grid portlet that is easy for a string field, but you may not like the solution.

First you set the column width as big as you need. Then you enter a string value for that field for a record which is as long a as you want and does not have any breaks. That is the only way I know of to force the column width.

The way CA PPM works is the width in field definition determines how much data the column can handle.

The rest is automatic. The column with depends on the "length of data" in each column in the records on one page of a view. Then the space in the browser window is divided between all the columns to give the best fit.

A column with more data gets more space than a column with less data.

• 3.  Re: Column width

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 26, 2018 01:44 AM

Hi Cira,

As urmas mentioned, PPM will adjust column width automatically and it may be different width which you expected.

To make column width more correctly by PPM, please try to set column width for all selected attributes in list. 

Please take care that total column width of all selected attribute is 100%.

Regards,

Shoichi 

• 4.  Re: Column width

Posted Jul 26, 2018 05:00 AM

In the past I have used the trick of setting the column title to a minimum width, its not great but it will make the column itself a minimum width as well (providing you set the flag right to not wrap the heading).

So if my column was called "Some Text", I would set its column title to "____________________Some Text____________________"  (i.e. pad the title with underscore chars) and then it would always display at a certain width (assuming it contains text that will itself be wrapped).

Ugly, but it works.

• 5.  Re: Column width

Posted Jul 26, 2018 07:06 AM

That is even better. It works with all types of data columns. The key is not to allow word wrap in column heading.
    The difference to using percentages is that with percentages the view is fitted to the window and then that is divided according to the percentages. Unless the window is very narrow. With string forced width either in the column header or in the data that width is displayed regardless of the view fitting in the window. If it does not then the horizontal scroll bar is displayed and the user has to scroll to the right to display the right side of the view.

• 6.  Re: Column width

Posted Jul 26, 2018 08:31 AM

Yeah the percentage width is a bit useless unless you only have a few columns displayed as once the screen width is "broken" it seems to just ignore the percentage thereafter.