Clarity

• 1.  MSProject XML Interface - Project Save Failed

Posted Jul 26, 2018 04:32 PM

Have instances of interface indicating "Project Save Failed" when working with project hierarchies.  However, the changes made in both the parent and child projects are actually saving to CA PPM.

The XML files produce prior to save operation are attached, where the Parent is PR42471 and child is PR44069.  They are simple 'template/test' projects for purpose of trouble shooting - found issue originally on actual projects in use.  These at least replicate the issue.

If I break the hierarchy, I can independently open each project, edit them and save them back without error messages.

Sometimes, I get this error message - not always.

Did a full removal of the interface and reinstalled - only happens more frequently, now.

Also, sometimes get the following - basically, it's lost track of the child project, where to find it's XML file:

Have attached same child project(s) to a different parent and opened/saved without error - so, starting to wonder if problem is with some of the parents (yes, CA PPM reflects real life!)

Ideas?

Attachment(s)

zip
    pr44069.xml.zip   4 KB 1 version
    zip
    pr42741.xml.zip   17 KB 1 version

• 2.  Re: MSProject XML Interface - Project Save Failed

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 27, 2018 03:09 AM

Hello Dale,

I see that you already tried using reinstalling the interface.

Which version of PPM are you using (I assume that your interface version matches your PPM, as it should)?

Also, regarding Microsoft Project, are you using a supported patch version?

How do Microsoft Project monthly patches impact CA - CA Knowledge 

Regards

• 3.  Re: MSProject XML Interface - Project Save Failed

Posted Jul 27, 2018 08:35 AM

We are on 15.2, patch 7 and using MSP 2016 (16.0.9126.2259) 32-bit with x86 version of XML interface.

Odd things:

-       Save works, despite error message

-       Appears to be conditional –

o   No error for single projects

o   Error for some hierarchical (multi) projects, not all

From MSP site, I see that ‘2259’ is a July 2018 update – this is the version our IT group is loading on new machines and for people requesting updates.  Perhaps I need to go back to June 2018?

Dale

• 4.  Re: MSProject XML Interface - Project Save Failed

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 30, 2018 03:08 AM

Hello Dale,

The version you are using is not supported by CA PPM. You are using Click-To-Run (C2R) MSP, and the updates for this version of MSP do not match the ones for MSI.

That might or might not be the source of your issue, but can you please try with a MSI-based Microsoft Project with June 2018 update?

Thanks