DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Disable useless transaction traces

Posted Jul 31, 2018 06:30 AM

Hello,

some agents collect useless transaction traces every two minutes, see below.

In the past  a "PersistentTransactionTracerConfiguration.xml" file was available to manually to turn on/off transaction traces.

My question is this function still available with APM 10.5.1, if yes is this a way to disable traces.

Another way to disable these traces.

Thanks for any suggestion,

Lutz

some captured traces

• 2.  Re: Disable useless transaction traces

• 3.  Re: Disable useless transaction traces

Posted Jul 31, 2018 11:26 AM

Hello,

thanks for your hints to the knowledge database. Some times ago CA renamed/reorganised the KB documents, unfortunately the old links are gone and I lost my useful collection of useful/important documents.

However, back to the discussion/question. From the Trace View I take the folowing information.

Application Name: AbiWebApp
    Class: com.ibm._jsp._ping
    Context Path: /abi
    :
    Trace Type: Sampled
    URL: /abi/jsp/tao/basic/ping.jsp

And add a TraceSession statement to the PersistentTransactionTracerConfiguration.xml file.

<TraceSession enabled="true" agentExpression=".*\|.*">
    <!-- Capture traces for the specified URL (operationType of "2" means it ends with). -->
        <AndFilter>
            <ParameterFilter parameterName="URL" parameterValue="/ping.jsp" operationType="2"/>
            <ThresholdFilter thresholdInMillis="100"/>
        </AndFilter>
    </TraceSession>

After removing some typos the TransactionTracer will loaded the new statement.

7/31/18 03:48:56.173 PM CEST [INFO] [main] [Manager.TransactionTracer] Started transaction trace for transactions longer than 5000ms
    7/31/18 03:48:56.174 PM CEST [INFO] [main] [Manager.TransactionTracer] Started transaction trace for transactions: with URL that ends with /ping.jsp and exceeding 100 milliseconds

Nice to know this is still working, see KB000066486.

But I can't find a way stop tracing /ping.jsp with a duration of 0 ms or 1 ms. The Sampled traces are still collected. The new Statement doesn't override the used settings/definitions, the default behaviour.

Suggested by KB000008503 I set introscope.agent.transactiontracer.tailfilterPropagate.enable to false,
    but get traces again (I restart the application).

We already use some properties suggested by KB000010688
    introscope.agent.errorsnapshots.enable=true
    introscope.agent.errorsnapshots.throttle=10
    and
    introscope.agent.deep.automatic.trace.crossprocess.enabled=false

I add introscope.agent.transactiontracer.tailfilterPropagate.enable=false only, see above.

The Sampled Traces are still collected. I take a look to PersistentTransactionTrace0.1.xsd, but can't find any useful statement to disable or override the trace behaviour.

Any idea, suggestion,

Lutz

• 4.  Re: Disable useless transaction traces

Posted Jul 31, 2018 01:03 PM

Hello,

based on https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-5/en/implementing-agents/java-agent/configure-java-monitoring/configure-transaction-trace-options
    I use a sledgehammer, set introscope.agent.transactiontracer.sampling.enabled to false for some agents.
    7/31/18 06:05:26 PM MESZ [INFO] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Url Sampling has been disabled
    7/31/18 06:05:26 PM MESZ [INFO] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Configuration property (introscope.agent.transactiontracer.sampling.enabled) set to "false"

In general I change the EM properties
    introscope.agent.transactiontracer.sampling.perinterval.count=1
    introscope.agent.transactiontracer.sampling.interval.seconds=120 to 300
    to reduce the collected Sample Traces.
    But this is a bad way and the useless traces are collected furthermore in a less frequency.
    Lutz

• 5.  Re: Disable useless transaction traces

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 01, 2018 12:28 AM

Hi Lutz,

In your MOM & Collector EM properties files do you have this value uncommented/set to any value?

introscope.enterprisemanager.transactiontrace.filter.types

In any case it may be worth explicitly setting it to no value on MOM & Collectors to see if has any effect i.e.

introscope.enterprisemanager.transactiontrace.filter.types=

I am not 100% sure if EM restart is needed

Regards,

Lynn

• 6.  Re: Disable useless transaction traces

Posted Aug 01, 2018 06:28 AM

Hello,

I changed the property (in the Mom and all Collectors) and restart the EMs.

# Comma separated list of TT types to be matched, TTs of all other types will not be considered for processing
    # to generate AppMap artefacts.
    #introscope.enterprisemanager.transactiontrace.filter.types=Normal,Sampled
    introscope.enterprisemanager.transactiontrace.filter.types=

The traces are still collected every 5 minutes. Yesterday I set the interval from 120 to 300 second,

introscope.agent.transactiontracer.sampling.perinterval.count=1
    introscope.agent.transactiontracer.sampling.interval.seconds=300

I thought the AppMap artefacts are generated from collected traces only, if traces are available. Start the AppMap functions traces in the background to get some data. If so, the used "ping.jsp" create useless information, the jsp is used to check the application availability only.

With regards,

Lutz