Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Suggest us the best approach for our requirement

Posted Jul 31, 2018 09:04 AM

Hi All,

Our Requirement :  We have hundreds of scripts(shell, perl, python) which are used to automate operational tasks. So the user will be asked to give the list of agents on which the selected script should run on. So our idea is to create multiple job objects for all the scripts and will place the script inside :External_Interpreter of each job. Now, we create a workflow that will ask the user to enter the list of agents and the job/script that should run on all the agents. We also want to place agents in the Static Vara dynamically and we use this VARA to loop the For-each object. 

Hope you understand our idea and appreciate if you suggest us any other interesting ideas. We have an existing tool which does this usecase but we now want to move this to our Automic.

Thanks,

Srujan.

• 2.  Re: Suggest us the best approach for our requirement

Posted Aug 02, 2018 05:20 AM

Hi Srujan,

From your description it looks like you already know what you want to achieve and how to achieve it.

Is there a specific part you are missing ?

Best regards,

Antoine

• 3.  Re: Suggest us the best approach for our requirement

Posted Aug 07, 2018 07:54 PM

The Agent Group construct is the 'normal' way to group Agents.   Different groups can have different behaviors:

- Always take the first agent in the list that is active

- Round robin thru the list, so the jobs will be distributed

- All/ForEach - this sounds like what you want.  The job will be executed on every agent in the group.

I have not tried changing the group membership dynamically, as your original posting suggests.   The Groups can be defined to automatically add members (A windows agent group can add transparently add/remove agents as they are defined, same with linux/unix).    There are other options for automatically adding new agents to existing groups -- check what is available in your release..

If that is not dynamic enough, I suggest using the Automic API  call to add/remove agents from the group, rather than creating a vara and a script to do something Automic already does.  One proviso, I would have the API call invoked BEFORE invoking the chain/workflow.   Test that behavior out for your exact environment.

You could have the reference to the specific automic job or the name of the OS script to be invoked in a vara, and also set that value BEFORE invoking the chain/workflow.

I would name these AgentGroups in a way to CLEARLY indicate the dynamic nature.

Your note does not make it clear if you are giving the end users access to the GUI and the ability to make these kinds of changes.  be careful to limit what they can do.