Clarity

• 1.  Can a gel script read dwh tables?

Posted Aug 02, 2018 11:55 AM

I am being asked to send out notifications when certain criteria is met.  The calculations for the criteria are basically done for me in dwh tables.  Can I use DWH data in gel scripts?

• 2.  Re: Can a gel script read dwh tables?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 02, 2018 10:30 PM

Yes, it does. Use data source as below:

<gel:setDataSource dbId="Datawarehouse"/>

• 3.  Re: Can a gel script read dwh tables?

Posted Aug 03, 2018 08:42 AM

Thank you very much!

• 4.  Re: Can a gel script read dwh tables?

Posted Aug 03, 2018 02:23 AM

In addition to the above comment, please refer to the following link ->Hello DataWarehouse! 

This will highlight some examples. The user being used in the script should be having access to DWH, just a point check, hope this helps.

Regards,

Samik

• 5.  Re: Can a gel script read dwh tables?

Posted Aug 05, 2018 08:03 PM

Please remember that the data will not be available in the warehouse until the 'Load Data Warehouse' job has been run, so there will be a further delay in the process being able to read the latest data.  If it is a critical notification that you are generating, it would be better to be based on the PPM data.

• 6.  Re: Can a gel script read dwh tables?

Posted Aug 06, 2018 09:18 AM

Thanks for stating this publicly.  I did take that into consideration prior to asking my question but should have included more detail.  Since we have a full data load to the DWH at 4:30AM EDT and notifications are desired to be distributed at 6:00AM, the timing works well.

Catherine I. Carmer

Assistant Vice President | M&T Bank

Technology|Technology Governance and Shared Services

AppleTree Business Park

2875 Union Rd.|Suite 3550|Cheektowaga, NY  14227

716 848 -5298|ccarmer@mtb.com<mailto:-5298|ccarmer@mtb.com>

• 7.  Re: Can a gel script read dwh tables?

Posted Aug 07, 2018 02:35 AM

Hi Catherine, glad that had considered the timing of the DWH refresh, and the time that the process to run the notification to be distributed.

Out of curiosity, what 'calculations for the criteria are basically done for me in dwh tables' are you using?

• 8.  Re: Can a gel script read dwh tables?

Posted Aug 07, 2018 07:57 AM

Our resource management office desires notifications to go to resource managers every two weeks if they have either overallocated (>=110%) or under-allocated (<80%) any of their resources for any given month within the next six months.  The DWH already aggregates both availability and allocations for monthly periods so all I would have to code for is the % allocated calculation.

• 9.  Re: Can a gel script read dwh tables?

Posted Aug 08, 2018 01:37 AM

Thank you for providing what you are using the DWH for these action items. If you ever need it not using the DWH, I have used the TSV's WEEKLYRESOURCEALLOCCURVE and WEEKLYRESOURCEAVAILCURVE to create portlets on the Project Dashboard to show over allocations.  This way the PM also has visibility to the data and can then have a conversation with the Resource or the PM of the Project who is also using the resource.  But this is only a suggestion as you now have a solution for your bi-weekly action items.