Top Secret

• 1.  TSS dump utility

Posted Aug 06, 2018 04:12 PM

Hello TSS community...I am looking for a TSS utility to dump the database into a flat formatted output to run queries against.  If you can supply me the utility name or the jcl. 

appreciate as always...bobby

• 2.  Re: TSS dump utility
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 07, 2018 06:05 AM

Hi Bobby,

I'm not sure, what you mean with "dump" - the security-database is encrypted ... supposing you'd like a broader search/query-possibility, you could start with a

TSS LIST(ACIDS) DATA(ALL)   

(execute it in batch with an appropriate xCA-acid, write SYSTSPRT to disk, specify a dataset-name with restricted access ... etc.) or try

TSSCFILE-utility,

for which you could find documentation here:  https://docops.ca.com/ca-top-secret-for-z-os/16-0/en/search?q=TSSCFILE&max=10&key=CTSFZ16

Kind regards,

Josef

• 3.  Re: TSS dump utility

Posted Aug 08, 2018 03:56 PM

Thank you  Joe, I’m toying with TSSCFILX which might fit the bill.

When displaying profile it lists the userids on the access list at tails end…is there a utility to list the associated user name field also?

regards

Bobby Sagami

HNA Mainframe Platform security

Tel:  310-781-4060

• 4.  Re: TSS dump utility

Posted Aug 20, 2018 02:38 PM

Bobby, I'm getting ready to post a new question and am catching up first on old discussions.  I didn't see this before, but it looks like no one responded, so let me take a swing at it:  I've never heard of a way to do this in native TSS.

But I need that information so very often that I created a REXX command to fill it in for me.  It can produce a quick listing not only of the ACIDs at the end of a profile listing, but of those in the profile list of a user ACID and of the ACIDs to which a user has access, plus a couple other things.  I don't mind sharing the code, but I'm a follower of Scott Adam's dictum* so it's pretty complicated and maybe you'd find it unusable.  Let me know if you're interested.

There's a commercial product called TSSAdmin Express that provides that information more quickly; I have no idea how much it costs, but it's extremely slick and does many such side lookups quickly, mostly I think by running a few jobs each morning after the CFILE has been updated to produce pre-prepared data.  At least one of my clients swears by it, and once I started using it I was very impressed.

* "To a normal person, if it's broke then don't fix it.  To an engineer, if it's broke it doesn't have enough features yet."