DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  How do I stop the console output/news from Tomcat agent?

Posted Aug 06, 2018 10:56 PM

Hello Everyone :

• When I deployed  the tomcat Agent,the metrics data were normal. But the Tomcat console always printed news. 

• The specific information is as follows:console news

• OperationSystem:AIX, jdk :java 1.60
      • Agent version :10.3.0.15
      • The test server environment is the same as the production environment,But the test server no such news.
      • How do I stop the console news?
      • Thanks.

• 2.  Re: How do I stop the console output/news from Tomcat agent?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 07, 2018 07:29 PM

Hello,

Normally agent logging behaviour is controlled by a property log4j.logger.IntroscopeAgent in your agent profile file (IntroscopeAgent.profile) and to prevent console output the string "console" should not be included in that property.

By default the property should be "log4j.logger.IntroscopeAgent=INFO, logfile" which will prevent console output.

The above "Confile search path..." output is not something I am familiar with and it looks to be standard output coming from somewhere else. It also includes Tomcat jar files, so was the "Confile search path..." output definitely not there before you enabled the agent?

Have you just installed the standard OOTB Tomcat agent with no customisation?

Thanks

Lynn

• 3.  Re: How do I stop the console output/news from Tomcat agent?

Posted Aug 07, 2018 11:26 PM

Hi,Lynn

When its happens for the first time, the property was "log4j.logger.IntroscopeAgent=INFO, logfile".Then i setting "log4j.logger.IntroscopeAgent=OFF". The logging still  printed.

Before i enabled the agent,the“Confile search path ...”output not exist.Tomcat jar files was nowhere else.

The tomcat agent is customisatio,i already installed 200  server.They are both Linux and Windows operating systems.I don't know if it's because this is the AIX operating system.

Thanks.

• 4.  Re: How do I stop the console output/news from Tomcat agent?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 08, 2018 01:59 AM

Hi Liao,

Yes it seems very strange if you have deployed exactly the same agent files to other platforms and you are only seeing the symptoms on AIX. I assume Tomcat is probably using an IBM JRE on the AIX OS but not sure why that would be relevant.

Is “Confile search path" output also in the Tomcat log files?

It looks like something is writing trace output to the (Tomcat) standard output stream.

As a test if you restart Tomcat with agent autoprobe disabled does the output still occur?

introscope.autoprobe.enable=false

Thanks

Lynn

• 5.  Re: How do I stop the console output/news from Tomcat agent?

Posted Aug 09, 2018 04:38 AM

Hi Lynn,

The problem has been solved.Before I deploy the agent,The "Confile search path is :/home/sasis/Tomcat7.0.42/bin/bootsarap.jar:/home/sasis/tomcat7.0.42/bin/tomcat-juli.jar" already output.

When i setted up introscope.autoprobe.enable=false,the output of the Agent is gone.

Thanks a lot.

• 6.  Re: How do I stop the console output/news from Tomcat agent?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2018 07:10 PM

Hi Liao,

Thanks for confirmation that the "Confile search path" output already existed before agent deployment, so it must be due to something writing regular trace messages to standard out in the AIX Tomcat deployment/environment.

You can now revert introscope.autoprobe.enable=true to get your instrumentation back

Regards,

Lynn