Test Data Manager

Expand all | Collapse all

Unable to connect in Datamaker

• 1.  Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Aug 08, 2018 09:20 AM

Hi,

I am trying to connect to MYSQL database in GT Datameker. But i am getting the following error.

We have installed the Mysql driver in server machine as well. When i make test connection in Portal, i am getting successful connection message, but the same details in data maker throwing below error.

Please guide me on this. Its urgent.

Thanks,

Sangeetha.M

• 2.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Aug 08, 2018 09:22 AM

This is what i am getting OK connection details in Portal:

• 3.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Aug 08, 2018 09:49 AM

Did you install the 32 bit ODBC driver to MySQL? Datamaker is a 32 bit app and requires 32 bit ODBC drivers.

I also found some references noting that the ANSI driver should be used.

Additionally, you could attempt to create a 32 bit System-DSN in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and use the ODBC connection directly.

Hope that helps.

• 4.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Aug 09, 2018 06:16 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I tried installing ODBC 32 bit driver in the same machine where Datamker is installed. When I tried to connect,  its taking local host IP instead of the one what I provided.

• 5.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Aug 09, 2018 11:12 AM

This looks like a generic access issue to the MySQL database via the driver directly. MySQL permissions a bit different. Reference:

MySQL :: MySQL 5.7 Reference Manual :: 6.2 The MySQL Access Privilege System 

MySQL considers both your host name and user name in identifying you because there is no reason to assume that a given user name belongs to the same person on all hosts. For example, the user joe who connects from office.example.com need not be the same person as the user joe who connects from home.example.com. MySQL handles this by enabling you to distinguish users on different hosts that happen to have the same name: You can grant one set of privileges for connections by joe from office.example.com, and a different set of privileges for connections by joe from home.example.com.

You need to ensure that your grant access to the [user]@[tdm host] within the MySQL DBs accordingly.

• 6.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Aug 17, 2018 01:44 AM

I looked into the grants section of the MySQL server & found that there exists an entry for user ‘root’@’%’ where % is a wildcard that can accommodate any hostname so the access should have worked even if we were trying to connect from the TDM host system:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/adding-users.html

Here are the results of the command that I executed on the server:

As per the above command results & the official documentation, the following user should have been able to login:

Thanks,

Sangeetha.M

• 7.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Aug 23, 2018 04:35 AM

Any updates on this?

• 8.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Aug 23, 2018 12:35 PM

Sorry for the delay.

The ONLY other thing that I've found on this problem is likely that the password is too complex:

Strong Passwords | Microsoft Docs 

If used in an OLE DB or ODBC connection string, a login or password must not contain the following characters: [] {}() , ; ? * ! @. These characters are used to either initialize a connection or separate connection values.

$ is also referenced elsewhere in the linked document.

I also found that ^ could be a potential problem (reference).

I would recommend changing the MySQL users password to something less complex and attempt the connection again. If you continue to have problems, it might be best to contact MySQL support directly as the connection problems are direct from their ODBC driver to their DB (and no TDM code is involved at this stage).

• 9.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Aug 27, 2018 07:37 AM

Thanks for your suggestion.

I tried by changing password removing all special characters. I am still seeing the same issue.

Also, why this was not the case for the portal connection where it succeeded without such errors?

Thanks,

Sangeetha.M

• 10.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 27, 2018 09:24 AM

Portal is using JDBC, datamaker is using ODBC. They are 2 different protocols for connecting to the databases.

Are you using the latest driver from MySQL:
    MySQL :: Download Connector/ODBC 

• 11.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Aug 31, 2018 05:55 AM

It worked by installing the latest version.

Thank you all.

• 12.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Sep 19, 2018 09:45 AM

A quick question on ODBC driver installation.

We installed Driver in our local machine where we are running dataMaker and we can continue with what we need.

But,

We have a instance of TDM server running in one server machine. If we install ODBC Driver in that machine, why don't we get this ODBC driver listed in Datamaker to create profile in local machine.

We have Native Client driver of SQL Server installed in that server machine, and we din't install that locally. Still we are seeing this Native Client driver in our local machine where we installed Datamaker.

What could be reason for not seeing ODBC Driver?

Thanks,

Sangeetha.M

• 13.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Sep 19, 2018 05:46 PM

Despite the installer being referred to as "GTServer" - it's not a client<->server application.

If you have multiple instances of GTDatamaker installed, you'll need to install the necessary ODBC drivers on each of those hosts.

Portal is a server component that doesn't require any configuration of the client as it's web browser based.

• 14.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2018 09:03 AM

Is this after an upgrade?

If so, has the repository been upgraded as well?

If not, I'd suggest moving / renaming your rep.xml file and retry your connection

• 15.  Re: Unable to connect in Datamaker

Posted Aug 09, 2018 09:28 AM

Yes I upgraded Datamaker. Now its GUI Version 4.5.0.41.

We are trying first time to connect MYSQL DB. We all worked with Oracle till now.

I removed rep.xml from C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Grid-Tools as repository was defaulted.

Our repo is SQL Server. We are creating a profile for MYSQL Server.

Thanks,

Sangeetha.M